Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pyroelectric Infrared Sensor output

rekaviles

Jan 9, 2013
Hello all, I signed up to because nothing came up while searching for an answer.

I purchased this Pyroelectric Infrared Sensor and followed a sample diagram to see if it was working properly. For the test I used an LED and it worked fine, but now I would like to do the same with a small bulb, but it's not as simple as just replacing the LED.

41Z%2BTsZpZXL._SS400_.jpg

The output on the sensor is 5v and im trying to light up 2.5v lamp, but i'm guessing there's not enough amps to light it up?

I'm a beginner so if anyone can tell me why it's not working or point me to some sites for examples. I basically just need it to turn on a light when it detects movement, just as it did with the LED.

Thanks in advance.

If you need any more info, let me know.

rekaviles

Jan 9, 2013
I'm searching for some examples and came across a circuit using a relay.

Could the sensor 5v output be used to trigger the relay, allowing current to pass on another circuit with the light?

The sensor has it's own power supply and the circuit with the light would be running off another supply.

Again, I have no experience in this so be kind. :)

rekaviles

Jan 9, 2013
After some more research and help from another forum, I now klnow I need to use a transitor, not a relay.

any suggestion is still welcomed.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, you should probably look at something like a 2N2222 (since that's a common part) and wire it up like it's shown on this page.

On that page they show the transistor switching a relay. You replace the relay (and the diode across it) with your lamp.

Make sure the lamp is connected to a low voltage as 5V could blow it. Alternatively, connect 2 of them in series .