Maker Pro
Maker Pro

QSC Powerlight 6.0 repair and update.

izzzzzz6

Jan 27, 2021
Hi there.
I had come across a thread where someone repaired one of these and left a link to his repair blog but now the link seems to no longer be valid. Don't you just love it when that happens!
I'm going to attempt this repair / upgrade but when reading through the service manual that i am very surprised and glad that QSC share so openly i start to get a bit wary after the calibration section in which they recommend you have it sent to them to complete.

I'm wondering if i can get good enough results with what i have lying around and do it all on a budget as there are two power supply modules to repair or upgrade.
I also plan on using the least expensive mosfets i can find due to budget.

When you consider there are 8 of them and prices can range form $10 each to $80 each with postage up to $30 i think i will go for the cheap ones because after that there are also 8 large diodes and a bunch of other components, i'm probably also going to change most of the larger capacitors or at least check the esr readings of whats there as some of them feel like they have lumpy tops, not really bulging but some feel lumpy when compared to others, perhaps it's just the manufacturing process of certain banks of capacitors. Who knows the history of this amp. It was working for the 4 or 5 times i used it then worked for a few days after coming out of 2 or 3 years of storage then the primary PSU mosfets went short circuit while the amp was muted.
I also have 2x lab gruppen fp 6400 which have blown caps after the flyback transformer became unglued, i'll be looking for any help on these also in another post.

Here is the download for the QSC Powerlight 6.0 and 9.0

https://elektrotanya.com/qsc_powerlight_6.0-ii_6.0pfc_9.0pfc_amplifier_sm.pdf/download.html

Here is the thread regarding the same repair / update

https://www.electronicspoint.com/fo...qsc-says-to-have-it-factory-calibrated.72879/