Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Quadcopter controller-board diode repair.

AMT

Jan 28, 2016
Hello there. Nice little community you have here! I'll get right to it...

So today I was flying my Zephyr Quadcopter and mid-flight it just stopped, fell to the ground and started smoking. I got the battery out ASAP fearing the battery wires had a short somewhere but upon inspection I suspect that one of the wires for the led lights had come loose and had touched the circuit board.

I can see where the board is damaged. 3 of four rotors turns fine and responds to control, but one of the rotors is stuck always-on.

Anyhow, the damaged bit is a little black rectangular bit labelled A22T that I am assuming is a diode, but not 100% sure as my electronics knowledge is only so-so.
I do however, have some half-decent experience soldering electronics (I used to fix and rewire original xbox controllers and mod systems) so I would like to attempt a repair myself.

I tried contacting the manufacturer but they can't/won't give me any information on the part, and don't stock controller-boards (they, of course, advised I just purchase a new quad from them lol) so all the more reason to fix it myself.

So what I am hoping is that somebody here can identify the little part that I need and hopefully tell me where I can purchase a replacement, as well as give me a little bit of advice on how to go about de-soldering this little bit and getting another one in there.

I do have some other electronics around here I might be able to get parts from, but I am uncertain as to whether or not something labelled differently would work where I need it.
I did find an old video card that has some little rectangular things that look pretty much exactly the same, but they say SIMM on them (I think that is what they say, I don't have a magnifying glass but that is what it looks like to me).

I have attached a picture with the damaged part labelled.

Thanks for your help guys, I hope I can get it working again! :)

Attachments

• controllerBoard.jpg
    controllerBoard.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 92

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi
welcome to the forums :)

is it A22T or A220 ?
you have A22T in your text but A220 in the pic

Dave

Reactions: AMT

AMT

Jan 28, 2016
hi
welcome to the forums :)

is it A22T or A220 ?
you have A22T in your text but A220 in the pic

Dave

Ah, I'm sorry. >< Haven't had much sleep lately lol.

It should read A22T

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir AMT . . . . .

Sounds like you done needs yourselfs a :

Vishay SI2312BDS-T1-E3 . . . . . . . .low RDS . . . . .power FET

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/SI2312BDS-T1-E3/?qs=jcx%2b0HVgj2b3YhM4OoQ%2brQ==

But, alas, then after you spends your fiffy cents, the Mouse house will only have 13,150 of them left in stock.

Consult this Da Da sheet for its specs . . . . AND . . . .basing :

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/si2312bd-104878.pdf

And then . . . .if this recurs on another motor, you just might want to replace all of them.

Howtodoittoit

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014956

73's de Edd

AMT

Jan 28, 2016

Sir AMT . . . . .

Sounds like you done needs yourselfs a :

Vishay SI2312BDS-T1-E3 . . . . . . . .low RDS . . . . .power FET

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/SI2312BDS-T1-E3/?qs=jcx%2b0HVgj2b3YhM4OoQ%2brQ==

But, alas, then after you spends your fiffy cents, the Mouse house will only have 13,150 of them left in stock.

Consult this Da Da sheet for its specs . . . . AND . . . .basing :

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/si2312bd-104878.pdf

And then . . . .if this recurs on another motor, you just might want to replace all of them.

Howtodoittoit

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014956

73's de Edd
Well thank you kind Sir! :D I will order myself a few, and then a few more.
Now, the question is, do you think I would be able to replace it with the one labelled SIMM I found on the old video card?
I need the practice de-soldering so might as well if it will do some good. :)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir AMT . . . . .

In no way do I see the "SIMM" part and its specification, along with it being utilized on a video card, as being a device of this units particular specifications. Possibly,only in its having a case configuration similarity.
This device is having a very low loss resistance when conducting, a headway cushion on the voltage specification and is capable of handling the current / power that those current hungry motors need.
It is the power pass/control element that your motor receives its power through.
So . . . . I would clean up the immediate board area and then get the first one in and evaluate, to see if any back feed might have occurred to the receiver control portion .
Then, if all is well, a replacement of the other units in order to have a matched set of beefier units.

Thassssit . . . . .

73's de Edd

AMT

Jan 28, 2016
you sure that's an equivalent device, Edd ???

its marking is totally different

Dave
In the forum post he linked, the fellow there says the A22 mosfets are replaceable with the Vishay SI2312BDS-T1-E3.

:)

AMT

Jan 28, 2016
OK no probs :) good luck :)
I appreciate it! I went out and bought myself a new soldering setup today (much finer tipped than the one I had previously) as well as some other necessary bits. Couldn't find any wick in retail though so I will have to make do with a solder bulb as that is all they had... :/

Now to make another thread to figure out if the n-mosfet that is leaking on my qnix monitor can be replaced with another one I have lying around.

Thanks again! :D