Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Query about resistors in my basic circuit and if they divide??

templeofthedog

Apr 27, 2021
hi

i'm not to great with circuits, this may likely be a dumb and basic question that I am struggling to figure out... I have had a search but not been able to find an answer, hence my question.

what I am trying to achieve is triggering cameras from a wired remote. the remote has two basic switches inside and 3 resistors. the switches increase in resistance from what I can tell, and this instructs the camera what to do, the first switch is for autofocus, and push down a bit more it activates the next switch which activates the shutter.

the remote is just a plain eBay camera remote, the inside is just three tabs of metal that touch each other in sequence. typically this is used for an individual camera but I need to trigger several at once. if it wasn't for the resistors I would just link them all together. but the resistors have me a bit confused.

say I was to trigger 4x cameras at once, would that divide the values of the resistors by four? would I have to add the set of 3 resistors 4 times, so have a set of resistors for each camera? or would it even matter and it wouldn't be needed at all?

i'm not sure here. please could someone explain how this may need to work?

I have attached a (not great) picture of what I am aiming to do. this is the basic idea, please correct me if the below wiring would work or if I need to do more with the resistors. the wiring below would be best case scenario as it would require the minimum amount of changes and keep it simple. but maybe I'm just being too optimistic!?

thanks in advance!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It very much depends on how the circuit within the camera is constructed that senses the position of the trigger switch.
The circuit you show is for Panasonic Lumix cameras (and it would have been kind of you to refer to the original page from where you got the main part of "your" diagram:rolleyes:).
So start by telling us more about your project, e.g. what make and model are the cameras you are going to use?

templeofthedog

Apr 27, 2021
hi thanks for replying, I found the image on google images, when you click the link it goes to a 404 error so not sure if the site exists any longer.

I added the scribbly bits obviously but didn't claim the diagram was mine, just used as an illustration of what I am trying to achieve.

the camera I am using is a Panasonic Lumix fz20, I will be using the same model for all cameras. I believe all Lumix cameras use this system though, as this remote is widely used across the range.