Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroenergy88

Jun 24, 2021
when plugging the electronic devices into the socket and using them, how many minutes for the total reform of the electrolytic capacitor?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Depends on the state (age, bad, very bad, unusable) of the capacitor, the current available to reform it and possibly other parameters.
In my experience if the capacitor can be reformed at all, one hour is sufficient. If after one hour it could not be revived, it is beyond hope.
Usually I prefer to replace bad (electrolytic) capacitors. Even if you can reform them, they'll have lost capacity. You never know for sure how that's going to affect the circuit.

electroenergy88

Jun 24, 2021
I have electronic devices stored (CRT TVs, Snes PS2 Slim consoles and other electronics from the early 90's) I read that if I don't use these devices constantly the electrolytic capacitors will fail due to disuse loss of capacitance depolarization etc but I wanted to find out which one is the maximum range allowed without use and without this risk?

without use is the chemistry of the electrolytic capacitor changed? isn't there a rule for all manufacturers?

a person had told me to keep them on 24h to fully activate the electrolytic capacitors

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Connect the devices to mains power at least every two years for 24 hours or more.
Even then you cannot avoid that the electrolytic capacitors dry out over time and will have to be replaced sometime. Depending on the quality of the capacitors used, environment (temperature, humidity), usage etc. the need for replacement will come sooner or later. The range being from maybe only 2 years for low quality capacitors used at high temperature up to 10 years or longer for high quality capacitors.

electroenergy88

Jun 24, 2021
I have ever over these two years but is this for the worst quality electrolytic capacitors? how is this measured?

24h need all this time?

I will not constantly use only stored

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@electroenergy88 : your question has been answered as good as possible. If you persist in your trolling this forum you'll be banned. You've been warned before.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.