Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question contact slot and contact conector snes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
How many years and how many docking and undocking is the durability of the SNes contacts slot and the cartridge contact connectors? they are a golden layer and will wear
img-319-inline.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The socket and the edge connector that fits into it will both have their own specification for 'number of insertions'.
You will need to seek the data from the socket manufacturer to find out the details.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
I do not know the socket and connector manufacturer this information does not exist but what would be the approximate number of inserts to disable the device?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Very difficult to determine. It can depend on HOW the board is inserted more than how many TIMES it's inserted. The manufacturers data will be derived from an automated process (testing procedure) that inserts it 'properly' to get the best possible answer!

In a real world situation you can get some cack-handed idiots ramming it into place at weird angles, too fast, too hard etc which totally destroys the 'expected' life span.

If it looks or actually IS damaged then simply replace it. There's not a lot you can do for the circuit board edge connector other than temporary repairs. I would expect someone, somewhere, does 'bare boards' that you can swap the parts over on to.

The boards themselves may be cheaply made (thin copper, poor tinning, zero gold-plating) or it may be 'genuine' with the best copper, perfect plating etc so as far as getting the information you seek it is pretty much impossible.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1) I normally insert the cartridge and the contacts are normal but every time the cartridge is inserted number of inserts goes eating corroding the golden conductive layer and in the future the layer is totally removed and the console would not work this rule also serves for the contacts of the cartridge? Is it possible to preserve for life the entire socket and the connector of the cartridges running?

2) I have 2 snes consoles and cartridges, one console I use constantly and the other console I keep stored unused, will the console that is stored unused will have some defect if it runs out of use?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
1. No, you cannot keep it working for ever. Everything wears out eventually. Either the socket will wear out or the cartridge edge connector will.
2. Most electronic devices suffer problems with 'age' - even if unused. Most commonly this is because the electrolytic capacitors in the units 'dry out' over time and they might need replacing with new parts to restore full operation. A lot depends on the original design (some designers might compensate for this type of problem) but that's often reflected in price - such items won't be cheap. How you store the thing may also make a difference. Keeping it in a temperature and humidity controlled environment may lengthen its life. Issues with corrosion (which is why sensitive items are gold-plated) can also happen. If they have internal batteries (memory back-up, realtime clocks etc) these can also go flat over time.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1 If I use Snes once a month and the cartridge I use every 6 months how will the wear of the socket and the edge connector? Will the wear of removing the golden layer occur on the socket and the connector? if it does, will they die?

2 What electronics tips to control moisture without using silica gel and without vacuum and what tips to preserve electrolytics? snes manufacture in 1995

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
1. I have no idea. What condition are they in to begin with? The 'golden layer' is gold-plating and put there to resist corrosion i.e. provide a better contact. As it gets worn away it exposes the material under it. That material is also conductive and will work providing corrosion does not build up on it. Gold plating lasts longer the thicker it is applied but 'thicker means more expensive' so it's usually applied as the thinnest layer they can get away with.

Stop worrying about it. If you don't want it to wear, stop using it. If you want to use it, it's going to wear. Your choice.

2. Given it was manufactured in 1995 it probably already has some issues with electrolytics that just haven't shown up yet! When you start getting problems you'll have to address them. This means replacing all the defective parts with new. It's not difficult but is time consuming and potentially damaging if you don't do it properly. People restore old electronics (capacitor replacement) all the time these days.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1 after the gold layer of the console socket there is another layer that is also conductive? this layer has high durability and this layer is also present in all snes cartridges official or Chinese? How to prevent corrosion from accumulating in this layer?

2 For a storage no use snes console if I do not use the console sometimes will this speed up the wear of the electrolics? What is the maximum time without using the video game?

3 What problems will appear in the use of snes, which is the warning to change capacitors?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Either use it or don't use it.

Use it and it WILL wear out. Don't use it and it won't. It will fail in time - everything does. How it fails is not possible to determine give the vast number of parts in it.

Your questions are too open-ended. Is there a REASON for all these questions? Do you have a specific PROBLEM with your unit?

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
My Snes is not with problem and I do not use it's stored box but I read that electronics can not be stored too long unused because of the electrolytic capacitors they recommended me to use 1 time per month as will the wear of the socket and golden layer using a once a month? if I will be using it constantly after 20, 30 years will the socket not work?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't think there's any meetings in the argument that you need to use it once a month. If it has a rechargeable battery on board, that might be a reason, but not for capacitors.

Store it with a cartridge plugged in, and don't removed it. That way there won't be any additional wear to the contacts or the connection every time you play it

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
Keep on and running for 30 minutes to 1 hour a cartridge console (snes) without the cartridge inserted can cause a problem in the CPU or other component of the device board?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
As kellys_eye explained, electrolytic capacitors 'dry out' over time. The liquid electrolyte inside them gradually evaporates/deteriorates. This time is shortened if they are used or stored at high temperatures. Running a console involves the generation of heat, therefore accelerating the drying out.
On the other hand, such capacitors also depolarise over time if they are not used. Either way, they have a limited life. Accept it and move on with your life.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1) Is it better to use the console at times to not depolarize the electrolics or is it better to never use the console to not dry the electrolite? What is the best option for electrolytic capacitors to have the maximum durability possible?

2) Keep on and running for 30 minutes to 1 hour a cartridge console (snes) without the cartridge inserted can cause a problem in the CPU or other component of the device board?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Never use your console.
Put it away in a box. Keep it at 20oC, in a nitrogen atmosphere, in a locked bank vault with a time switch set to the year 2525.

or USE IT.

You are likely to die before the console does.

Please stop asking repetitive and circular questions.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
You did not answer my 2 questions directly, that response is distorted.
please friend

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
1 I asked if connecting and using the console without the inserted cartridge damages CPU and other console components

2 I asked if it is better to use the electrolytic capacitor sometimes so as not to polarize or if it is better not to use it to dry, what option does the electrolyte less durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.