Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question storage dvd media and ziplock and silica gel

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
If I have a DVD inside a black closed box case and inside that case box it has some moisture if I put this case inside a zip lock bag and I put silica gel sache inside that bag and close the bag the blue gel silica will pull to absorb all the moisture that is inside the case of dvd? The silica gel is not inside the case the silica gel is inside the bag

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Putting the silica gel inside the "black closed box case" would be better.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
the silica gel does not have this absorption power and will have to put silica gel inside the box case even knowing that it can scratch dvd discs or parts? the silica gel outside the case and inside the ziplock does not absorb the moisture that is inside the case?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You seem to be on the wrong forum, and yet there is no point in doing this.

If your case is damp (??), leave it sitting out open to dry to the ambient humidity level. This is the same level the DVD is and it has probably been exposed to ambient humidity its entire life. Light is the main thing to safeguard against.

Apparently there are more addictions in the world than I was aware of. Yours seems to be silica gel. The only way to break the habit is go cold turkey. No more silica gel for you ! :p

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
You seem to be on the wrong forum, and yet there is no point in doing this.

If your case is damp (??), leave it sitting out open to dry to the ambient humidity level. This is the same level the DVD is and it has probably been exposed to ambient humidity its entire life. Light is the main thing to safeguard against.

Apparently there are more addictions in the world than I was aware of. Yours seems to be silica gel. The only way to break the habit is go cold turkey. No more silica gel for you ! :p

leave the case open and store it can scratch the discs because the silica gel moves inside the ziplock bag, my doubt is if the case is closed and the silica gel outside the case the silica gel pulls the moisture that is inside the case and dry?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The silicon gel should be held inside a sealed container, a zip lock bag is not likely to be good enough.
Any moisture inside the same container will diffuse to the gel and keep the contents dry. You may have to regenerate the gel often if the contaiiner is not fully sealed.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
The ziplock bag seals the air intake and inside the bag is the case, the wrapped paper and the silica gel sachets, the silica gel will pull the moisture that is inside the case and the paper or that moisture will be trapped inside the case and of folded paper?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
leave the case open and store it can scratch the discs because the silica gel moves inside the ziplock bag, my doubt is if the case is closed and the silica gel outside the case the silica gel pulls the moisture that is inside the case and dry?

No! If for some bizarre reason your DVD case is wet, let it sit there open to dry out before storing the DVD in it. You do not need silica gel at all. You do not need a ziplock bag. You need a new hobby. :rolleyes:

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
The case is not wet so it may have taken moisture, the case I think is not hermetic and the silica gel is outside the case the silica gel pulls the moisture inside the case?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The zip lock bag will not have a good seal, there will be an opening at the end of the zip and variations in air pressure will allow damp air to enter.
I suggest using a plastic food box with a lid which has a seal and is clipped on. There is no need to get the gel close to the DVD, diffusion will make the humidity uniform within the box.
If you have coloured gel, then you will know when it needs drying.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
Is the ziplock bag not hermetic? they say yes and I put some sache of blue gel silica inside the bag for a few days and they have not changed color, plastic box takes up a lot of space and I do not have much space available No need for the silica gel sache inside the case of dvd and inside the paper wrapping? silica out on the outside sucking moisture out of them?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@gamer87 . All your messages are about ‘storing’ crt’s., dvd’s, plastics, tube sockets, etc etc.
There is no definitive answer. Materials used in thr 80s have problems especially with plastic. Components have problems especially with electrolyte drying or leaking. Or thermal compounds drying. The list is endless and will continue to grow. Keep all your museum pieces in a controlled cool room or restore with todays variants. But they wont be original.!. Also, there is no such thing as a monthly turn on time to keep them original and worrking.
Every single question that you have asked in all of your posts are hyperthetical. Failure is not an option. It will happen. Plastic discolours and becomes brittle. Electrolyte dries, pcb glue becomes conductive!. These are all things we have found out recently. Silica gel will be the next pcb stand off’s out of alignment problem. Or I didn’t measure correctly!

Martin