Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Quick question about trace connections

theslink2000

Apr 1, 2017
Hi,

I've just got a quick question that's been bugging me and I apologise if this question is in the wrong place, I couldn't decide if this was more suited to the circuit help or repair forums.

I've uploaded a picture of a 14 pin plug on a pcb and I've been trying to figure out where each pin connects to around the board as I've got another one where this plug has been smashed off and it has damaged traces so need to know so I can repair the traces.

I've managed to located every pin accept pin 9, I'm told they're laid out like this:

1 3 5 7 9 11 13
2 4 6 8 10 12 14

So either way it's the fifth from the left on the top row.

Anyway my question is this:

I can see no trace connected to this pins pad, all the rest have obvious traces even if they just disappear through the board (do these holes have a name?) but this one doesn't.

So is it actually connected as far as anyone can tell?

Sorry for what is probably an obvious question I'm pretty sure it's not but I can't figure it out for certain.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

Attachments

• DSC_0694.JPG
    DSC_0694.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 65

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Anyway my question is this:

I can see no trace connected to this pins pad, all the rest have obvious traces even if they just disappear through the board (do these holes have a name?) but this one doesn't.

So is it actually connected as far as anyone can tell?

the pic is pretty low quality so a bit difficult to tell.
it's quite possible that it doesn't go anywhere, that wouldn't be unusual
there's no law that states that every pin has to go somewhere ;)

theslink2000

Apr 1, 2017
I apologise for the quality, I was trying to get as close as I could manage whilst still being able to see the traces.

But thanks for supporting the notion that it's not attached, obviously if I fix the rest and it doesn't work I know I was wrong!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir theslink2000 . . . .

The black blobs are VIAS or feed thru holes to connect to circuitry on the other side of the board.

I also am not having good enough definition, but an ohmmeter would be your answer machine.

Just looking, 9 might be a no connect and I wonder about 12 and 14 also, as the others have a

noticeable path to an adjunct foil connection.

73’s de Edd

theslink2000

Apr 1, 2017
Hi 73's de Edd!

Thanks for confirming that, honestly I thought they were called Vias, but I've heard people using the terms Via and Test Point interchangeably so I thought I'd ask the question openly rather than try and guess.

I know what you mean about 12 and 14, but this is why I am suspicious. I have traced 12 back to the boards microprocessor and 14 is ground but I can find no connection for 9 even though they look the same. I don't think the board has layered traces but I can't see the other side directly below this plug as there is a small sister board fixed there that is not easy to remove.

Hmmm, I just had a thought. I might try tracing the corresponding pin on the socket side and see if that goes anywhere.