Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Quiz buzzer system

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mme Belle . . . . .

Or you could have the box held down by all of the fingers of each hand, holding around the side of each respective side of the case for stability and using a thumb or crossed thumbs to then press on the pushbutton.
The pushbutton is being mounted at center front of the side face at the front. That provides plenty of depth for the pushbutton, versus using a top mount of the switch.
If you really-really-really had your choice of choosing ANY size for those 8 player boxes sizing , what size would you want ?
Also seems like the boxes should initially be put at each player position on one teams side and then a determining of adequate elbow room and the need of 2 conductor wire length needed for connecting between side to side connections between the 4 boxes.
Then use of a longer wire to exit out of one of the 4 boxes to go over to the main unit.
THEN a replication of all of that for the other teams side.
For overall connectivity reliability and MUCH less expense . . . . use no plugs and jack sets at each box.
Instead merely use a rubber grommet inserted in case side to pass the wire thru and then use an UNDERWRITERS knot inside the box at the wire past the grommet, for jerk / fall / pull / strain relief.
The consideration of the space needed for each boxes circuit board build is a factor also.
I presume that the size of a box (es) sent by Most Honnable and Esteemed Oh Chosun One is being of adequate size for the MAIN unit ?.
When is your construction deadline ?

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Belle

Apr 14, 2017
Edd, are you talking about making the small boxes sort of like the ones Ken made with the pushbutton on the side. I really want the kids to push the button with their fingertips or palm because in the competition they have to leave their hands on the table until time to push the button. I want to simulate that so if I could choose any size it would be one deep enough for the box to be horizontal on the table about 4" x 2" x 1.5". But, if they held the box vertical on the table and the button was on one end or side they could keep a hand on the table then reach up to the button. For that a 1" high box could work. I had planned on not using plugs for each box and connecting the wire like you said but was thinking of not connecting the boxes together.
If all the boxes for one team are connected could one button lock out other players on the same team when one button is pushed? I would like the system to also be used for individual competition as well as team.
As for the main unit, the boxes Phil sent may not be big enough and may need something like Ken's main unit box. I am trying to figure out all that would be in or connected to the main box. Construction deadline, I would like to have it done by September.

Belle

Apr 14, 2017
I am working on a parts list at mouser.com using Analogkid's schematic. These are parts and part numbers I found but wanted to make sure I have the right parts.
Carbon film resistors
CF1/4C103J 10K
CF1/4CT52R102J 1k
Decoupling capacitor
R82ES4100Z370K
1000UF 25V capacitor
ECA-1EHG102
Transparent latch not sure which one
SN74HC573DWR or AN
SN74AC573DWR

Phil gave me 4-wire cable with 22AWG wire and I found a spool of 6-wire phone CABLE 24AWG I didn't know I had. I plan on using plugs and jacks at the main box only. What type of connectors would work and easy to install?