Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radar detector smart cord circuit

Johnrobbinsjr

Sep 4, 2017
Looking for some help understanding how this circuit for a radar detector smart cord works. Specifically how with two LEDs in series one blinks when the radar is alerting and the other one stays on constant. I would like to add a dimmer to the alerting LED, but I don't know how do go about this without effecting the power led. I appreciate any help you can provide. Although I do have a specific goal, I would like to understand as much of this circuit as possible including how the mute button works by grounding a certain lead to the radar.

elec156_smartcordschemnq8.gif

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I suppose it would depend on what the RJ11 signal is on B.
And what the RJ11 signal is on Y.
My guess is that there is more to this in the 'passport'.
The alert LED is receiving a signal from B and the power LED blocks it. The transistor switches on/off during detection via Y causing alert LED to flash.

Or Y is pulsed causing transistor to 'switch' and B is just negative..
Dimming the alert LED can be done by adding a resistor.

Martin

Last edited:

Johnrobbinsjr

Sep 4, 2017
I suppose it would depend on what the RJ11 signal is on B.
And what the RJ11 signal is on Y.
My guess is that there is more to this in the 'passport'.
The alert LED is receiving a signal from B and the power LED blocks it. The transistor switches on/off during detection via Y causing alert LED to flash.

Or Y is pulsed causing transistor to 'switch' and B is just negative..

Martin

I'm sure you're right that there is more going on in the passport, I was just hopeful that we could take an educated guess of whats going on based on what I have. I don't know much about transistors, but I thought they had to have a positive voltage to switch. If that is true that would make Y a positive voltage, but how can Y positive when there is 680k resistor to negative on the same line? Also could the B from the RJ11 be a ground and the becomes dead when the radar alerts? When you say I can add a resister to dim the alert LED I assume I would do that between line B and LED?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That is the most simple solution.
I assume I would do that between line B and LED?
Or between LED and the transistor's collector.

One could also replace the mute button by a pwm circuit using e.g. a 555 timer ic (example). By modifying the duty cycle of the pwm generator the dimming can be made continuos.

Johnrobbinsjr

Sep 4, 2017
That is the most simple solution.

Or between LED and the transistor's collector.

One could also replace the mute button by a pwm circuit using e.g. a 555 timer ic (example). By modifying the duty cycle of the pwm generator the dimming can be made continuos.

Thank you for the advice. I didn't consider between the LED and collector. As for the PWM circuit, I understand that it used on/off signals to produce a frequency and power level, but I don't understand how replacing the mute button with this would enhance the circuit.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Read how pwm works (wikipedia). By adjusting the ratio of on time to off time the apparent brightness of the LED can be controlled. That is how LED dimmers operate.

Johnrobbinsjr

Sep 4, 2017
Read how pwm works (wikipedia). By adjusting the ratio of on time to off time the apparent brightness of the LED can be controlled. That is how LED dimmers operate.
Thank you Harald, that is how I understood it to work, but I'm confused to suggestion of replacing the Mute button with a PWM. Seemed like it should just inline in place of a resistor. Is that correct or am I still not getting it?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As we don'tz know what happens to the right of the RJ-11 plug at pin Y, I suggest you disconnect the 10 k resistor to the base of the transistor on the side opposite to the base (where the mute switch is located). Then apply the pwm signal to the open end of the resistor.
upload_2019-9-11_7-9-53.png

Johnrobbinsjr

Sep 4, 2017
As we don'tz know what happens to the right of the RJ-11 plug at pin Y, I suggest you disconnect the 10 k resistor to the base of the transistor on the side opposite to the base (where the mute switch is located). Then apply the pwm signal to the open end of the resistor.
View attachment 46030
Thank you Harald and everyone else that offered their advice. I wish I understood circuits like y'all do. I really appreciate how people are willing to share their knowledge with anyone willing to ask.