Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radar / LIDAR / Object detection system

sean

Nov 14, 2010
I am searching for a solution that will enable me to develop a system that can detect objects moving towards it from 20meters (60ft) away.

Presently from what I find regarding LIDAR /Radar techology it is rather expensive. I am attempting to learn whether there is a solution on the market that will enable basic detection of objects at low power and at a price of maximum $20 in a complete system of transmitter and receiver.

if you know of any ideas to point me in the right direction as to the appropriate technology and/or systems/solutions on the market, that'd be much appreciated,

many thanks,
Sean.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
$20 not likely
<10m you could use ultrasonics, but over 19m like for your situation you will have to use laser or RF. prob looking at a minimum of $20 for the TX and the >$30 for the RX

The receiver complexity is determined by the fact that you want to detect a moving object, that means circuitry to detect a change in freq of the laser or RF transmitter ... ie detecting doppler shift.

now you may appreciate why the market ones cost so much :)

Dave

sean

Nov 14, 2010
Hi Dave,
thanks for your rapid response,
are you saying that ultrasonic is more affordable?
is there any technology that may fill the 10-20metre distance ? possibly a good ultrasonic system?

Do you know of good technology on the market for sale presently that is ultrasonic technology?

regards,
Sean.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Dave,
thanks for your rapid response,
are you saying that ultrasonic is more affordable?
is there any technology that may fill the 10-20metre distance ? possibly a good ultrasonic system?
Do you know of good technology on the market for sale presently that is ultrasonic technology?
regards,
Sean.

detecting doppler shift on ultra sonics is prob a bit easier. But if this was being used outside then anything over ~ 10metres max prob wouldnt work too well just because of environmental noise and reflections off everything else.
You are not going to have the narrow beamwidth to be able to easily target an object with ultrasonics as with RF, say 10GHz microwave, but then 10GHz microwave is not going to have the targetting accuracy as a laser which is really going to be small spot on a well colluminated laser beam.
This is why cops use lasers, to easily and accurately pick out single cars in multiple lanes of traffic

cheers
Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The simplist 10GHz microwave motion detectors are the ones used in shopping centres etc to auto open doors. There has been a move to passive infrared

If you want to dapple and experiment go to an alarm installation company, they may have some of the old 10GHz units lying in a corner of the workshop gathering dust

Dave