Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radar Sensor PCB repair

SpiderMan

Apr 15, 2022
Hello, the radar sensor located in the rear bumper of a Mercedes E350 went bad and I opened up the module which revealed a seemingly burned out section of the PCB at the connector (see photo). To me it looks like a copper ground plane was burned out (due to poor connection somewhere around connector pin?). I am looking for expert opinions on whether and how this can be repaired.

The radar sensor was manufactured by Autoliv ASP, Inc. Sweden. Part no. 6295553 03C; Model No. 6208428 if that helps any.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Radar Sensor PCB damaged markup.jpg
    Radar Sensor PCB damaged markup.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 11

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you had a picture of a 'good' board we could make a better determination. As it stands I suspect that a burned out component is missing from that area of the board. Such damage also tends to 'progress' through the rest of the circuitry so although a repair might be possible, ascertaining whether the unit will actually work afterwards will be impossible until the repair is made - so potentially a waste of someones time.

SpiderMan

Apr 15, 2022
Thanks for your responses. Your advice on viewing a good board is the right thing to do and if I find a cheap one on ebay I will do. In terms of replacements vs a DIY fix, I learned working on Mercedes' cars these days that it is best to find an EXACT replacement part, meaning same hardware part no. and same firmware SW version. Otherwise, you need to bring to a Dealer or Independent Mechanic with the licensed software to code the new module for the make/model and option packages on the car. Thanks again for your prompt replies and attention.