Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Random Number Generator

Valdaron

Jun 1, 2011
Hello guys, i am little to no experience with electronics, one in college i took Electric Circuits, but i forgot most of it, and right now i need to build a random numbers generator circuit. i need it from 10 to 90, going from 10 to 10, like 10 - 20 -30 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 70 - 80 - 90, that will be the array from where the random number will be pick up, if i could have 2 switch to activate the circuit would be better, 1 that use the entire array, and other one that just show 90. i would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A simple approach is to have a pair of BCD counters and a BCD to 7 sec driver. Use a high frequency clock (say a couple of MHz). When you press a button it connects the oscillator to the clock input of the counter. The counter will overflow thousands of times per second, so the variability in the time you press the button will very effectively generate a random number on the display.

If you only want to show numbers 10, 20, 30... then have a single BCD counter and driver and hard wire the other display to show 0.

Valdaron

Jun 1, 2011
thanks for the answer Steve, but what you just said it is Chinese for me lol, do you know where i can find like a video, or step by step manual of how to do it?

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi Valdaron
I'm afraid there will never be enough videos on this sort of thing, because the uses of counters and clocks are so many and various, and to make a video on each possible electronics technique would use up all the DVD's that have ever been made and many more besides.

You might have a look at the tutorials which are part of this forum, and try your best to understand what you read. Follow this link, https://www.electronicspoint.com/electronics-tutorials-f101.html, and pay attention to the tutorials on multivibrators and counters. Ask any questions you still have once youve read that material. Those subjects will help you understand Steve's post.
You could also try googling "random number generator circuit electronics". I just did that and found there's lots available at no cost.