Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Random signal

Britannicus

Feb 26, 2012
Hi all,

I wonder if you have any suggestions - I'm looking for a cheap solution to provide a random result - maybe there's a clever IC out there?

what I'm hoping to produce a random number of pulses I can then use for a random timer for a game I'm hoping to make for my kids. I've seen electronic dice so figure something must exist out there that will give

A randomly variable time between pulses

OR

a random number of pulses and then a pause (as I can use it as an input to a decade counter or the like)

Now, I know that there is no such thing as truly random, so I'll go for "unpredictable" Any brilliant suggestions ??

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
One way would be to have a high frequency oscillator, feeding a counter and running the oscillator when a button is pressed. If run at 1MHz, you would need to release the button to an accuracy of 1 microsecond to select a specific output!!!

assuc

Dec 20, 2011
use 555 timer ic or oscillator according to your requirement

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A close to random source is a white noise source. If the output from one of these is converted into a pulse train and a regular timer used to gate it on and off, you will get an unpredictable number of pulses -- essentially random.