Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Raspberry pi zero w led matrix

kinggreene

Dec 11, 2014
i have a new project i want to build using this display https://www.google.com/search?q=8x8...AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=653#imgrc=AXtsb8LxfLLSVM:
i have it working on the arduino scrolling messages but what i REALLY want is to have the Raspberry pi zero W drive the matrix using the SPI interface pins and have a scrolling news "Ticker" from either CNN or the BBC (RSS)?
i have no idea how to accomplish this goal other than a few people online have used PYTHON to program this and something about having a api key, which i did download from CNN.
Any ideas guys?
Colin (K0LIN)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This is a 2 part problem:
  1. write a routine to display text on the matrix. Don't re-invent the wheel, use a library to control the display. Start e.g. with a routine that takes text from a defined memory area (e.g. a string array) and displays this text in a scrolling fashion,
  2. write a routine to get the news from your favorite channel. The API key is required to access the API (programming interface) of the news channel to access their content. Then you feed (copy) the downloaded text to the memeory area that is used by routine #1 for display.
I'm sorry not to be able to help you with details.