Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC-5 36kHz carrier absent??

AmitK

May 12, 2010
We tried to decode RC-5 waveform from an RC5 remote on a DSO using a circuitry consisting of a photo transistor (TIL 78)amplifiers and comparators..it is a pretty neat and working circuit and we actually managed to see perfect 14-bit manchester pattern for various controls on the remote, as can be seen from picture 1-remote waveform.

But the problem is, where is 36 kHz carrier??? We are not using a TSOP IC, its a general phototransistor, so it should decode all the frequency components AS IT DID when we actually generated our own RC5 waveform using 8051 and 555. In the wave we generated and then decoded using the SAME circuitry, we could clearly see the 36kHz carrier inside the information bits, as in Picture 2-generated waveform.

we kept the same DSO controls in both the cases but actual RC5 remote is not showing the 36kHz carrier but the waveform we generated as per theory of RC-5 is showing the carrier on DSO using same receiver circuitry!! We are confused! Do actual RC-5 remotes use 36kHZ carrier?? Some one kindly help us!

Attachments

• 1-remote waveform.jpg
    1-remote waveform.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 2-generated waveform.jpg
    2-generated waveform.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 800

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
point some other remote control at it and see what happens.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Speed up the horizontal sweep. When I've worked with RC5 I could either see the data or the carrier, not both. I know you said you used the same setup and settings previously and it worked but in my experience it doesn't.