Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC Locomotive Horn fitted to Jaguar XF

rmurph17

Sep 18, 2017
Hi all,

This is my first ever project idea so I want to know the feasibility of it first.

I want to fit a locomotive two-tone air horn (152db) running off an existing compressor which I have no use for (8 bar pressure 6 litre capacity) to my Jaguar XF.

I don't want to replace the cars original horn.

Ideally I want it to work by remote control off some kind of fob or transmitter box, which can be kept in the cabin. I can run the compressor off the car battery itself but I would also run it off it's own dedicated battery if required - I have plenty 12V, 18V and 24V Ni-Cad batteries laying around. The only thing I am worried about using the vehicle battery is if it would discharge overnight.

Luckily there is plenty space under the car where I can mount the components around either the front bumper or rear bumper.

I don't know much about circuits so can you guys let me know what kind of equipment I am going to need for the remote control aspect? I assume the switch in the air line itself will be a motorised solenoid valve (pneumatic). However I don't know what would be required for the on/off of the compressor so it isn't running all the time.

Thanks for any input and sorry for my lack of electronics knowledge.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Controversial, but, hey, if that is what tickles you, better install a reservoir tank/vessel in the trunk to hold a volume of air you refill at the service station or at home compressor.

----> http://www.toolpan.com/ATD-Tools-9890--10-Gallon-Air-Tank-_p_340.html

An ancient method I saw once is a threaded 'T' adapter placed between the spark plug and the block that uses the engine compression to power the air horn when a pass-valve is open. Simple methods that go better with "lack of electronics knowledge"

Your planned use of such horn on a car should deserve/match the approach you take to implement it.
If you plan to drive sitting on the horn button, or if it is just to say hello to a passing locomotive.

Please let us know the amount of fines for infractions to any law.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
You have a compressor. You'll also need a reservoir, as noted above, as the compressor probably won't produce air as fast as the horn uses it. A couple of relays and switches and a bit of wire. That's all you'll need, except for a highly-paid mechanic with an understanding of Jaguar wiring, if you intend to connect to existing wiring without damaging something expensive.
I'm afraid very few of us are highly-paid Jaguar mechanics...:(

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Like the immature little boys who make the engines on their cars and motorcycles as loud as is possible, a 152dB locomotive air horn on a car is silly and will bother thousands of people. Common sense says not to do it.

A train horn is loud because a train cannot swerve around an obstacle on the tracks and it takes the very heavy train a long distance to stop. Then the train horn is blasted when it is a long distance away from an obstacle on the tracks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The OP probably taking 'inspiration' from a couple of retarded dudes on Youtube who go around sneaking up on unsuspecting members of the public and blasting their train horn at them.....

I wonder who'll be the first to sue the OP for the medical conditions instigated from being on the receiving end of this train horn?

Bring it round to my place - I could do with some cash.......