Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC remote frequency, change???

jasin333

May 1, 2017
My son has a couple of Lionel G trains that run on remote, but they all run on 27.145Mhz frequency. I was wondering how hard it would be to switch out to a different frequency? The transmitter (Tx) remote has a circuit board with a micro chip that is covered with something hard and black, I can't tell what the chip is, but it also has an oscillator attached to it that is marked YC27.145I which just happens to correspond to the frequency of the remote. The receiver doesn't seem to have a oscillator attached, But it still has the similar microchip covered in a hard black substance.
I was hoping to just switch out the frequency crystals and be done with it, but that doesn't look to be the case. Can anyone else confirm that there is nothing to be done or am I missing something? Image attached is the Rx receiver circuit board layout. This board is separate from the motor controller board etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 116

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The receiver looks to be LC tuned - the hole being the core of the receiver tuning coil, adjustable for 'peak response'.

Change the transmit crystal (although why you want to is not known) and test for range, peaking the performance (distance) by adjusting the coil core - use the proper adjusting tool or you'll break the coil core and ruin the tuning completely.