Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RCA CRT Projection TV blink of death

Ozfer

Oct 16, 2016
So I recently picked up a 52' RCA R56WH78 projection CRT HDTV 1080i for free due to the fact that it was not working, and I would like to restore it to be usable. The issue it has is when powered on it blinks very slowly three times and then turns off and will stay off until unplugged for a while. If I power it up and keep tapping the power button it sometimes blinks rapidly like up to 10 times or so and then turns off. Nothing is ever visible on the screen. I have read around online and people say there are many issues with this model and a common one is the flyback and fuses near the flyback.

I have tested all 4 fuses on the power board near flyback, all the fuses on the small signal board, the fuse on the sub power board, and the fuses on the digital tuner board and all are working fine. I can tell at some point in the past one of the fuses blew due to the fact someone soldered a different type of fuse in place. Also, I can tell that someone has resoldered the flyback at some point and I have also reflowed the flyback to no avail.

Visually all the capacitors on the unit seem fine but I don't really have the tools to test them further. Nothing really seems broken with this unit though. When I got it the whole inside was COATED in thick sticky dust but after a good session of dusting, it's not nearly as bad anymore and I have in the process of taking all the boards out pretty much reseated every cable. The power is clearly making it to the flyback and when plugged in the TV makes a very high pitched noise. But I am not sure what would cause it to turn off or no picture to display.

I am relatively new to repairing monitors/tvs and am not really sure where to go from here. I took the front off the unit and the PCBs under the three CRT bulbs look like they are in fine condition. I read somewhere they are cooled with liquid and one is known to break and sometimes spill but there is no evidence that ever happened in this unit from what I can tell. Since power seems to be getting to some stuff (power LED on, high pitched noise) I am not sure if this is a problem with the power side or the video board side of the unit especially since nothing really appears broken.

Any suggestions perhaps I need a new flyback? Also I can post pictures of the boards/tv and links to other discussions about similar problems if that would help. Furthermore it seems almost every tv starting with model number R56WH is similar to my model in almost every way and even some other screen sizes seem to use similar circuitry. Does anyone know if its possible to find a service manual or schematics for this somewhere?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi
welcome to EP

So I recently picked up a 52' RCA R56WH78 projection CRT HDTV 1080i for free due to the fact that it was not working, and I would like to restore it to be usable.

have you tried googling for a schematic or service manual ?

without that you will be almost wasting your time

Dave

Ozfer

Oct 16, 2016
Of course, I have tried googling for the service manual. The closest I can find is some sites that have the owners manual and some of them want to charge $10 for it lol. As I have never really looked up this type of thing before I was not sure if there is a place where people in the TV industry go to get this type of thing that is kinda better then just searching it on google.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was not sure if there is a place where people in the TV industry go to get this type of thing that is kinda better then just searching it on google.

to the manufacturer, of course, and they will still charge for it, but they may or may not be willing to sell to a non-registered service agent of their product

Ozfer

Oct 16, 2016
So I called RCA and they told me to google for it. Literally the guy on the phone was like "just go on google and look for it" and then proceeded to tell me to look up the problem on youtube. FML

UPDATE: Found it on a shady website for free....

Last edited:

Ozfer

Oct 16, 2016
Well that was literally what they told me to do when I asked them if they sold it xD. I doubt its a power board problem since the fuses are working and I found the whole small signal board on ebay for like $17 and free shipping so I said what the heck and got it. Better than a 75% chance it will fix it :p

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Ozfe

I personally progressed through owning 3 generations of those big screens during the day of the CRT tubed units.
Starting with a screen rising up from the cabinet in a Zenith circa 1981 . . . .then replaced with an RCA in 1992 . . .
Then 3 relatives had your ITC222 series of RCA chassis in their BS sets that I had to repeatedly repair all of them throughout their 10-12 year lifespans. Then I ended up with 52 in Bitsumishi, until onset of the flat screen era.
I am sure that my info notebooks still have cause and effect writeups on them for their repair.
Matter of fact, I can remember one of them having a shorted HV divider block which can cause your effect.
Another had an open ring joint on a damper diode which can cause a like effect on the produced noise..
Yet another had time/heat/ESR deteriorated electrolytics on the 6V SBy voltage line that can cause the BLINKS.

I don't think that your problem will be solved with your presently selected option.

If more exacting specificity of my info is needed, I will pull it as required . . . after I find it .

73's de Edd