- Jan 1, 1970
In message said:Sort of a non-technical question here, if you will indulge me ! At
work recently, my boss had me shatter several burned out fluorescent
lamp tubes with a hammer in order to fit them into the disposal box. A
cloud of dust from the broken bulbs formed as I was working. I think I
inhaled some of it. Some of the bulbs broke with a loud pop, some just
These were long thin bulbs, about 4 or 5 feet long, approx 1.5 inches
diameter, used in the ceiling.
Now I'm wondering what stuff I inhaled ! Maybe I should have said no
to the assignment, but too late now.
You inhaled mercury vapour and phosphor dust. The machines that are
used for proper crushing of fluorescent tubes spray them with water as
they crush them to keep the dust down.
Breaking them manually is not a recommended practise.
You shouldn't suffer any adverse effects from this exposure, but don't
do it on a regular basis.