Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RE-Maplin Electronics in the USA.

usalabs

Oct 21, 2016
I really don'y know why the moderator closed out the thread:- https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/maplin-electronics-in-the-usa.280951/#post-1710528 I can understand because of other people's replies were actually off topic, but that has nothing to do with my OP, but I wanted to reply to one of the replies when asked about how big Maplin is or was, I'm not sure how big they are now, but when I left the UK, they were really big, and their warehouse in my home town was huge, larger than Walmart, as far as I know Maplin are still going strong, but I'm not sure if they still have warehouses, or if they are online orders only, but their website at www.maplin.co.uk is still in operation.

ADDENDUM
According to this store finder:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/store-finder Maplin still have a huge franchise across the UK. I found a place in CA, that is a hobby electronics supplies, but they are very, very limited, not as big as Maplin, oh, and I called the Maplin international distributor and they said they can ship overseas but to order shipment overseas, Maplin would need to be contacted for information to what components are allowed according to US import regulations.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I really don'y know why the moderator closed out the thread:-

I closed the thread because of your display of paranoia ... you were the one who started the thread in a bad way
as long as this one doesn't go the same way, there will be no problem

Dave

Pentode

Oct 18, 2016
Maplins is OK'ish but certainly NOT the best when it comes to components, there are light years better places.

The problem I can see is that you don't specify what you are wanting. When it comes to components Maplins is pretty poor, mighty fine for example common resistor and capacitor kits like Velleman does but it ends there.... to me Maplin's is just a glorified 'toy shop' because their components ranges are very limited and they seem to push gadgets like drones and remote control cars etc, hence my reference 'toy shop'.

For components there are better places, and cheaper in some cases. Have you ever heard of Rapid Electronics they make Maplin Electronics look like a gimmick, I'd say it's a shop you go in at Christmas looking for presents, Tandy's was the same we had one right on our doorstep until it closed.... ask them about a EF86 or a 3SK124 they wouldn't know what one was.

'My' main components shops are Rapid Electronics and RS Components (Radio Spares) there are others I use from time to time.

Dave

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
I was in Maplin's Blackpool UK store just the other day looking for a shopping list of specific parts. At first the range on offer seemed pretty poor - need one 10k resistor? Here, have an expensive bag of 1000 randoms which may or may not contain the one part you need sort of thing.

Ask a member of staff though, and it turns out the good stuff is in the back. I gave the guy a shopping list & he disappeared and returned with most everything, he knew his stuff as well.

The only let down I had was trying to get a mosfet with specific characteristics - they only stock one part number as a 'general purpose'.

One of the best small local places I've come across is Practical Radio Supplies (PRS), top end of Dale St. in Liverpool UK. Absolute Mecca for a teenager interested in electronics back in the late 70's and through the 80's.. dunno if it's still going. Bought my first oscilloscope there, ex army surplus for a tenner. Full of valves and only 6MHz IIRC but I had fun fixing it up!

Happy days.. I digress. Returning thread to topic.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maplin would need to be contacted for information to what components are allowed according to US import regulations

It's the export regulations that are restrictive.

Why concern yourself with maplins when there's so many US retailers with better range, prices, and shipping?

Pentode

Oct 18, 2016
[QUOTE="flippineck, post: 1710607, member: 32330".......
The only let down I had was trying to get a mosfet with specific characteristics - they only stock one part number as a 'general purpose'...... [/QUOTE]

I wonder, have your tried Cricklewood Components or Nikko / Dalbani Electronics (same company)?

Dave

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
Cricklewood Components - didn't they used to advertise in ETI magazine. Deffo heard of them, never used them

Pentode

Oct 18, 2016
Cricklewood Components - didn't they used to advertise in ETI magazine. Deffo heard of them, never used them

Yep that is em' and every other radio magazine I can think of, I used them from time to time..... they even have OC45's, mind you they are not 2/6 now, should I have said two shillings and sixpence?

Dave