Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Read out button presses of digital phone

MrFuzzzy

Apr 27, 2022
Hi there,

I'm trying to read out the button presses of an old digital phone for the elderly with an arduino (or rapsberry pi). I tore it apart and the main thing I'm trying to get at looks like this:
photo_2022-04-27 11.09.35.jpeg

The pins coming off are these:
photo_2022-04-27 11.09.40.jpeg
The pad that presses the buttons from the top looks like this:photo_2022-04-27 11.09.42.jpeg

I'm used to buttons just shorting a connection, but I don't know how this is meant to be read out. The pads on the that are pressed on the board are somewhat conductive.
It's probably trivial, but can somebody point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'm used to buttons just shorting a connection, but I don't know how this is meant to be read out.

Does the same thing, possibly not "short" but a level low enough for the associated circuitry to recognise which button in the matrix has been pushed and for the circuit to "do it's thing".

MrFuzzzy

Apr 27, 2022
Does the same thing, possibly not "short" but a level low enough for the associated circuitry to recognise which button in the matrix has been pushed and for the circuit to "do it's thing".

Ah yes, that's it.
I just managed to get a digitalRead change on the arduino when I use a piece of metal instead of the original pads.