Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reading data from ADC to PC through USB

Prakash Gautam

May 16, 2014
Hi.
I am trying to make a project that needs to send the data acquired through ADC to PC through USB port. How can I do this? Since I am a newbie in this field I would like some basic guidance. Or I would appreciate any online resources that allows me to get this task done.

Thank you.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

that's a pretty serious project for an electronics new-comer. what construction and programming skills do you have ?
Have you got the facilities or abilities to do surface mount component work ?

have you got your data logging software sorted out ? and does it have the abilities to read data from a USB port ?

not trying to put you off ... but you need to understand that a project like this is reasonably complex :)

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you really want to roll your own, there are various chips made which when connected to a USB port will identify as a serial device. These may have a serial or parallel interface and may or may not have a buffer.

This page lists a stack of them: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm

Prakash Gautam

May 16, 2014
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

that's a pretty serious project for an electronics new-comer. what construction and programming skills do you have ?
Have you got the facilities or abilities to do surface mount component work ?

have you got your data logging software sorted out ? and does it have the abilities to read data from a USB port ?

not trying to put you off ... but you need to understand that a project like this is reasonably complex :)

Dave

I have good experience with high level programming in C and C++ and fair knowledge of Assembly programming with 8085, 8086,8052.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Then the ready-made hardware would be perfect for you.

Bob

Prakash Gautam

May 16, 2014
Then the ready-made hardware would be perfect for you.

Bob
I want to make the project for learning purpose not just to use it, so I would prefer making it myself than buying one. But I would love to know about the available products for reference. Could you provide any such references?