Maker Pro
Maker Pro

reading / writing samsung K4H511638J

skipzoid

Jul 20, 2014
Morning all..

I have a device which has a Samsung K4H511638J device in it. It containts a filing system to boot into linux.

My problem is the device has become corrupted and I want to change it for a new one, however that would pose another problem.

On the PCB is a TTL serial port which displays the output of the device as it boots, whent he K4H511638J becomes corrupted it stalls at the U-Boot prompt which in part is a good thing becuase at least that block doesnt corrupt and allows tftp'ing of the rest of the filing system back and will allow normal operation for a few weeks.

If I replace the K4H511638J then it will be blank, so I need to be able to at least write this block to the device.

The CPU its connected to is a Atheros AR7241 and theres a JTAG header on the board.

In theory I could simply JTAG the U-Boot and then continue on to tftp into the device bringing it fully online, or build something to transfer to the uboot to the K4H511638J and then replace it on the PCB..

Any suggestions or guidence would be appreciated, I did contact the manufacture and they confirmed they have a util that connectes to the JTAG header and transferes a binary that then continues to transfer the rest of the operating system via tftp, but they wouldnt give me that util and I dont have the knowledge to write such a thing.

I was hoping something cheap and propriety was available to firstly read the old K4H511638J and then transfer it to the new one.

(To replace the device would be £170 ish, but wheres the fun in that when I've bought a K4H511638J for £2)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I doubt I can help but I'm a bit confused by the part number, K4H511638J, which appears to be an SDRAM, not any type of bootable NV storage. Are you sure this is the device that has become corrupted? Is there a Micro SD card, maybe? If so, maybe you could remove it and read it in a computer or some custom jig? I'm just grasping at straws I'm afraid...

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
If the NV memory gets corrupted 'every few weeks', it seems to me like the problem is more likely a software bug. If it was a hardware problem, I would expect it to fail sooner.
What 'device' is it? If we knew what the device is someone might have some experience with the unit and be able to provide more constructive input.

I agree with Kris that the part you list is RAM and cannot store information across reboots, so a reboot would recover a crash if it was at fault.

Was the unit reliable before? Did it become unreliable after you upgraded the firmware?