Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Really silly electrical conundrum

Noobster

Oct 28, 2013
I have a device that's not working. I took apart the battery compartment and to my surprise the battery compartment terminals on the rear of the compartment are not putting out any voltage!

I have tested the batteries, two AAs, and they are good.
I have tested the continuity of the strip of metal that bridges the two battery bays and it's good.
I have tested the continuity between the battery compartment terminals on the rear and the front (where the batteries sit, and they are good.

This is such a simple circuit that I can't see where the problem is. The batteries sit very tightly in the compartment, and are difficult to remove so they must be pressing hard against the metal contacts of the battery compartment.
001batterycase.JPG 002batterycase.JPG 003batterycase.JPG

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I have a device that's not working. I took apart the battery compartment and to my surprise the battery compartment terminals on the rear of the compartment are not putting out any voltage!

I have tested the batteries, two AAs, and they are good.
I have tested the continuity of the strip of metal that bridges the two battery bays and it's good.
I have tested the continuity between the battery compartment terminals on the rear and the front (where the batteries sit, and they are good.

This is such a simple circuit that I can't see where the problem is. The batteries sit very tightly in the compartment, and are difficult to remove so they must be pressing hard against the metal contacts of the battery compartment.
View attachment 29950 View attachment 29951 View attachment 29952
Try prying terminals out a bit so they have spring tension against batteries.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Another trick is that if you have a battery holder which has two batteries in series and where the polarity of the batteries is not obvious, placing one the wrong way around will give you very close to 0V out.

Noobster

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I had already bent the contacts out to no effect. But I tried again, bending them out as far as I dared, and it now works!:)