Maker Pro
Maker Pro

rechargeable torch with led or halogen bulb

Martin Baker

Jun 13, 2016
I want to make a rechargeable torch with 18650 batteries with 10 or so batteries to ensure longer battery life. I was considering arranging the batteries in series and parallel to accomodate a halogen globe for a car, or using an led of which I do not have much knowledge of. I would also like to put a micro usb charging circuit in and would like to know if anyone could offer up their opinion.

thanks

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
well for starters lets look at your charger, USB.... that's 5volts out... car halogen are 12volt, so either use step up (not good idea) or stick with LED the reason I don't think using a step up is a good idea is the possibility of blowing a USB hub. as this sounds like your first project try to stay low volts
now as for LED vs Halogen, the reason halogens aren't used much is they have less life span, and drain more power (watts in this case as they use both volts and amps more).
so LED is what I would use. as for using those batteries, if you are intending on using Lipo, then ensure you have a brilliant charging circuit or else they tend to get smokey, then burn, then house burns..... then fire department come... you get the idea
now the only thing you really need to think about is how bright you want it, look for "lumens" or "candlepower" and get one that is ridiculously big for ultra bright, blinding as the sun from the same distance light
good luck

Martin Baker

Jun 13, 2016
Okay, what exactly is the term used for the LEDs inside a torch because I either come up with an LED house light globe or one of those tiny led indicators.

Thanks

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
i typed "LED bulb torch" into ebay and got heaps, but do you want bulbs?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Could try (images) "1w led" or "3w led" or "5w led" etc.
As well as the led itself, it came up with driver schematics also.
Might be useful to you.