Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Recreating kit sold in the 60s, alt 12vdc to 3 120vac outlets

Vogey

Jan 27, 2023
I've been told by numerous people about a kit they bought in the 1960s and '70s that went on your alternator, at the flip of a three pole switch changed the output from 12 volt dc (that charged battery) to 3 120vac Outlets (no longer charged battery but used the 12v to maintain mmsagnetic feild) I cant find any information about it online.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
That may work, but the output is a high frequency AC (a few hundred Hz to a few kHz depending upon alternator speed and the number of poles it has), not 50-60Hz.
That may or may not be a problem depending upon what you are trying to power.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
As mentioned above the frequency will be dependent on shaft speed or rotation of the alternator. You say three 110 AC outputs. which gets me thinking about, I think (I'll have to check with my grandpa) back then some alternators output Polly or three phase & terminate
to a three-phase full wave bridge rectifier. Power Inverter is way to go. But they do have new things they call household generators and you can put gasoline in them. They'll output 110AC,220AC or a combination of both at 60 Hertz. And when you run out of gas you can hook up a bicycle to it,That'll get you into kilo Hertz.