Maker Pro
Maker Pro

reduce volume of quartz wristwatch beep

rastapapa

Jan 11, 2012
Hello,
My mother bought my kids digital wristwatches. Theyre great, but their beep is so loud. I remember someone telling me as a child that one could chip away the piezo crystal on the back plate of the watch to decrease the volume and the concept has always stuck with me. However, I havent seen any discussion of this online. Volume control is typically suggested by adding resistance, which may be challenging to do in a chinese wristwatch. using a small pliers or screwdriver to break away edge pieces of the crystal I presume should change (increase) the frequency, and perhaps drive it to the inaudible range. Is this feasible? Before I test it on my sons watch and risk killing the alarm completely I was hoping to get some others' opinions.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir rastapapa . . . . .
I would go for mechanically damping the transducer element to the required degree with a small cotton / polyester ball / pad placed at its mechanical center.
Experiment with area and density of coverage, until deadening to that desired acoustical level.
Poly is preferred . . . . . quilt and pillow batting . . . . .due to its waterproof repression..
If like most units I have seen, the complete back case / disc with its transducer epoxy mounted to it is held on by 4 small SS jewelers screws.
NO do chippee-chippee to transducer disc ! . . . . . . . .¿ ¿ ¿ WHASSAMATTAHYOU ? ? ?

73's de Edd . . . . .

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Bluetack - that sticky stuff used to fit poster to your bedroom wall....... tiny ball squished onto the rear of the transducer will 'kill' the volume instantly.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I remember someone telling me as a child that one could chip away the piezo crystal on the back plate of the watch to decrease the volume and the concept has always stuck with me. However, I havent seen any discussion of this online
Make sure not to crack the white disc that is the actual piezo.
Pizio buzzers don't have quartz crystals. There's nothing to chip away at or" cleave."
They use a type of ceramic that also exhibits piezoelectric properties.

1679312768017.png