Maker Pro
Maker Pro

reed switch and tiny motor NO arduino

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
can i attcah a reed switch to a small motor that doesnot need an arduino. when my train will ride over the switch it will cause a gate to open

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Depends on the reed switch and the motor being used. The motor will draw a certain current and the reed switch contacts must be able to carry that current. Typically, reed switches can carry around 1A maximum therefore your motor should be rated UNDER 1A. You can, of course, increase this maximum current by using the reed switch to activate a relay and the relay contact to activate the motor - in which case there is no practical limitation on the current.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
In the simple scenario the reed contact will close only momentarily while the magnet under the train passes over the contact. It will open as soon as the magnet has passed the contact. This will result in a short pulse only, the duration of which will depend on the speed of the train (slow train, long duration and vice versa). If that is enough for the gate to open you're o.k.
If not, you may need a timer module (example) to generate a pulse long enough to open the gate, The timer would be triggered by the short pulse from the reed contact.

darina99611

Aug 9, 2022
In the simple scenario the reed contact will close only momentarily while the magnet under the train passes over the contact. It will open as soon as the magnet has passed the contact. This will result in a short pulse only, the duration of which will depend on the speed of the train (slow train, long duration and vice versa). If that is enough for the gate to open you're o.k.
If not, you may need a timer module (example) to generate a pulse long enough to open the gate, The timer would be triggered by the short pulse from the reed contact.
thank you for the explanation. My husband has faced the same problem