Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Regulators

Kaash

Aug 16, 2013
I need voltage regulators of these ratings..
12v 5A
5v 5A
3v 5A
-12v 1A
suggest me IC number or circuit diagram

goldfist

Sep 18, 2013
What is the input voltage that drives these and is it DC or AC in which you need a bridge before it etc?

Is this for a computer and powered off of 120VAC or 240VAC? ( 3, 5, +/- 12 ) appear to be computer voltages, so you can establish the voltages with these ratings with a simple computer power supply vs reinventing the wheel, unless you want to reinvent the wheel. I generally take the path of least resistance, easy way out and use someone elses wheel such as a computer power supply for these voltages and amp ratings.

If making my own power supply I generally fish around info on mouser or digikey and find regulators that I need that are a single component rated for the load I am requiring, however I have sometimes to up my amp rating, I will team them up to get the desired amperage, so that if a regulator was 12 V 500mA and I need 1A, I will have 2 of these driving the circuit balanced for 1A, both working to create the up to 500mA load and have them parallel to the load. Generally you can find one heavy enough to drive the load, but I have teamed them up before to cut costs and it works however it can lead to failure.

* Perform at own risk for teaming voltage regulators to up your amperage. I prefer using one that is rated above the current draw to avoid a fire vs teaming in which there is the potential in the team for some to work harder than others, and if one fails and you are at max load of the team its a domino effect of the rest of the team frying, sort of like a tug of war at a stand still in which one person loses their footing and the rest of the group topples over unable to hold the tension.

Last edited:

Kaash

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks GF
my input voltage is 15v
ya i can use multiple regulators of 500mA in parallel for load balancing but i want single regulator of 4-5A for circuit simplicity ..:)