Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Relay circuit help

Minimustangs

Mar 12, 2017
Using spst momentary NO switches for game controller mod. Switches will trigger a keyboard keypress. Toggle off to on, on to off.
Is it possible.... easily... to have the NO switch complete the keyboard circuit AND toggle a relay to drive an Led to show the on off state that pressing the spst switch controls?

Trying to have a visual representation (led) of the "on" state as set by the first keypress. And have the 2nd spst press cancel the led indicator.

Would need a dozen of these circuits so simplicity and low part count is important.
Thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sure. It CAN be done. I don't believe the circuit would be complicated, the primary issue would be what
signal you're using to trip the relays (And yeah, if you're only intending this for a few key individual keys on the keyboard it wouldn't take too many (one each). But if you want to do this to a lot of keyboard keys, you're going to need that many relays.)
If you intend to draw relay-trip power from your game controller, you'd have to be very careful that that signal would
power the relay without drawing excessive current through the original game controller design purpose (causing damage).
The LED on/off would be the function of the relay open/close contacts.
You just have to determine what the game controller circuit power is, and what the relay would draw.
My guess is, you'd need a separate power source (maybe already within the game control console), to power the relay.
What I would do, is consider using a different switch for this operation. One with two circuit contacts instead of
the probably one that's already originally installed. One set of that keyboard switch to act normally for what the
game console was designed for, and the second keyboard switch contacts to supply separate power to drive your
relay.
So. Is this just one or a few keyboard keys, or are you thinking a lot of keys (switches).