Maker Pro
Maker Pro

relay module connection

hobbyelectronics

May 27, 2023
I'm trying to wire one of these modules. I'm using 4, 5 meter LED strips and only need some direction on how the positive and negative wires from the the LED's should be connected to the screw terminals. The common is positive in my application and this confused my amateur electronic skills - How is the negative of the LED strip wired into the module? The usb connection goes to my computer, which controls the energizing of the LEDs and the driver is ready to install, after I plug in for the first time. Thanks in advance.sg-11134201-7qvde-lgucmqatcyzn3b.jpg

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Assuming you have a driver you would :

driver >> LED strip >> NO contact on relay, GND of relay same ground as drivers
output. Is driver constant current or voltage ? Reason for asking what limits
LED current in the strip ?

But best if you post part number/link to driver and led strip datasheet/info to
make sure recommendations here at Maker Pro are as accurate as possible.

Regards, Dana.

hobbyelectronics

May 27, 2023
Assuming you have a driver you would :

driver >> LED strip >> NO contact on relay, GND of relay same ground as drivers
output. Is driver constant current or voltage ? Reason for asking what limits
LED current in the strip ?

But best if you post part number/link to driver and led strip datasheet/info to
make sure recommendations here at Maker Pro are as accurate as possible.

Regards, Dana.
I am assuming that my explanation was incorrect. Drivers is referring to the computer drivers, and programmed chip, which would run the relays, via the usb. I assume the 5050 LED strips (12v) are limited by their resistors. There is a separate box which runs the program (which is a scoring machine) which I already use with the computer. The 4 channel relay I pictured will run extension lights, (LEDs strips) and there are 4, two whites and one red and one green. So, just connecting the screw terminals properly is my concern here. The common (center terminal) is positive with NO & NC on either side (as you'd know) so the + wire on the LED ( I assume), goes to the center screw terminal and I don't understand how to connect the ground from the LED.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The relay contact(s) will only switch the POSITIVE wire to your LEDs. All the negatives will tie together and go straight to the power supply negative (ground) output.

I your case I'd wire the positive from the PSU to all the 'COM' relay terminals and use the NO contact to deliver that voltage to the LED(s) depending on which relay is activated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The common is positive in my application
The load of your application is the LED strips and your having a relay module with relay output, the output is totally isolated from the rest of your module.

Connection would in that instance be.........as you quote positive common......... battery power (+) to all positives on the LED strip (no connection to the module) with the negative of your LED strip going to the n/o of the module. The common of the same terminal would go to battery negative.

Attachments

• LED Module.jpg
    LED Module.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 9