Maker Pro
Maker Pro

relay problem - toggle output

sammyb11

Jul 17, 2009
I've got a problem I'm trying to solve using a momentary push-button, relays, and a LED. Every time I push the button the LED needs to turn on or off.

Does anyone know how to do this or know where I can find out how?

jasonben

Jul 15, 2009
Would searching for relays on the market that have switches in them that aren't momentary be useful? I'm thinking that there might be something inside of the relay that moves back and forth like part of a switch. The last time that I had a relay it seemed to be controlled by an electromagnet - that was moving a conductor that functioned as a switch. If applying electricity to the electromagnet always attracted or repulsed this movable part functioning as part of a switch in one direction, I'm wondering if this movable part could be held both on or away from a conducting part of a switch. What could cause the moving part to be held away from the other conducting part? It seems as though something might work because there are switches that are buttons but not momentary. I thought of searching patents for a diagram.

Last edited:

amdNRA

Sep 3, 2009
Are you doing this just to see if it's possible to do it with a few components or because you have a real application in mind? Use a debounced momentary switch input to a flip flop and a driver transistor on the output to control the relay, and from the relay you can control whatever you want. If all you want is to control the led, then you can drive it from the chip output (about 10ma).
Later, Gil. :)

Last edited:

neon

Oct 21, 2006
I've got a problem I'm trying to solve using a momentary push-button, relays, and a LED. Every time I push the button the LED needs to turn on or off.

Does anyone know how to do this or know where I can find out how?

what is the question needs to turn on or off. Explain that to me.