Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reloading powder check

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, i seen a while ago someone made a powder checker for thier reloading machine. What it did was a tiny sensor picked up an brass casing then a servo motor moved 90° over top of it and detected if there was powder in the casing. If not a small 3x5" screen gave an error and an alarm sounded. Any ideas on how to get started?

Thanks!

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
I used to be a reloader myself. Mostly 9mm. Personally I'd stay away from a gizmo like this. Electricity can cause sparks. One spark and you lost your face. What's too hard about just using your eyes?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The best way to prevent "double charging" a shell casing is to weigh each one using a powder weighing scale. A strong light and your Mark I eyeball are also usually adequate to the task. I haven't reloaded pistol or rifle ammunition since sometime in the previous century, but it sure makes sense if you want to practice a lot, or just want to "tune" your cartridge to match the capability of your weapon.

Keep sources of static electricity, sparks, and open ignition sources far away from your reloading bench. Same goes for distractions such a pets, curious children, and visitors: keep them away while you are actively engaged in a hobby that can kill or seriously injure you or bystanders if something goes wrong.

oxicottin

Sep 14, 2012
Im not sure if any of you have seen running or been around reloading presses but most popular addons are bullet and brass collators wich i am running, i am also running a bullet counter and a LED press light ring which all use 12v wall warts. So with that being said, whats one more electronic? I understand concerns but all safety precautions are being used. I did however receive all my parts to build this i have to do a lot more research on how it works and try and figure out the code sine i never wrote any.

Attachments

• PXL_20210523_235405966.jpg
    PXL_20210523_235405966.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 8