Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remote Controlled Ski

Nathan Shuttleworth

Jun 20, 2015
Okay so I have these roller skis for cross country skiing in the summer here
ySvodEbDNxhpHULTmKapUc8oU-O6FZYTUY_is0KiaubYbDI8JbW2Fo_Xs6RX9iOIQH46CjYEjOdAW20=w1256-h514-rw

They are great and pretty custom, they are not very popular as most of you probably have never seen something like this. These skis are perfect for training except for one flaw... they don't have breaks. This can be terrifying going down a giant hill next to on coming traffic. They probably don't have breaks for a reason as there really is not a way to put one on there. Heal blocks similar to roller skates won't work because the skis are too long and a hand held break can't be held because I am holding ski poles.

So I thought that I could attach a servo to the ski with a battery and a wireless Receiver then on my ski pole attach a transmitter so I could turn the break off and on.

Pr2ucr0UmbXR83jwQY_KOh6mksJW88CEJpJCYMZD6XMxLLVS-xOnMdIeJ9ki1vRLPUdc3iN5ELbBiME=w1256-h514-rw

So I really don't know where to start or how I need to wire the servo and the receiver.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Nathan, this sounds like a fascinating project..
But your images didn't load.:(

Personally, I don't think the servo idea will work.
It would have to be very large for the torque you are talking about. (I could be wrong).

I think this is a job for 'Q'.

You may be better off thinking about a simpler way. Like adding rubber to the inside 'sides' and using the 'snow plough' technique.
Or
Adding rubber to the left 'sides' for a Hocket stop.

But I like.......NOT going down a giant hill with traffic at the bottom.:p

EDIT: I just found pictures of roller ski's. So ignore my 'simpler way'...

Martin