Maker Pro
Maker Pro

remote controls

GRT 33

Dec 3, 2017
Hi. I've got a "Scientific Products" garage door opener from the 50's or 60's, it works well but I've lost the remote control. Can anyone help find a replacement or equivalent? Maybe some sort of transmitter that will let me test different frequencies?
Thanks (sorry if the question sounds dumb)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi. I've got a "Scientific Products" garage door opener from the 50's or 60's, it works well but I've lost the remote control. Can anyone help find a replacement or equivalent? Maybe some sort of transmitter that will let me test different frequencies?
Thanks (sorry if the question sounds dumb)
You can buy replacement 'universal' remotes from places like RadioShack.
That 'may' do it for you, but I would encourage you to get a new opener for security reasons.

In any case, this is the type of product I can think of. The trick will be finding one with tested support for your model.
Check with the store return policy before purchase and give it a try if you are unsure.
http://www.skylinknet.ca/can/products/ut/g5mc.html.090317

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I worked on garage doors in the early 70's, before I got into the alarm industry, which used much the same remote signal technology for its wireless sensors as garage door remotes. As well as I can recall off the top of my head, that generation of RF receiver activated a relay if it received any strong signal at the right frequency, and the frequency was fine-tuned with a variable air capacitor; which was how you kept your remote from opening every other RF-equipped garage door on the block (and hopefully, vice versa).

RF receivers and remotes were a lot less common back then, and the environment was less laden with background RF, but we still had doors opening "spontaneously" from passing police cars and even airplanes who happened to broadcast on the right frequency. I'm frankly surprised that your vintage opener "works well", which I would take to mean it doesn't open spontaneously too often.

If you can find what frequency your receiver uses, it's possible a contemporary remote that transmits on that freq will activate it. Unlike the current generation of receivers, yours won't insist on hearing an electronic serial number (ESN) in a specific format before it activates its relay.

However, I have to agree with Gyrd3 that your old technology is a security risk.

GRT 33

Dec 3, 2017
You can buy replacement 'universal' remotes from places like RadioShack.
That 'may' do it for you, but I would encourage you to get a new opener for security reasons.

In any case, this is the type of product I can think of. The trick will be finding one with tested support for your model.
Check with the store return policy before purchase and give it a try if you are unsure.
http://www.skylinknet.ca/can/products/ut/g5mc.html.090317
thank you Gryd3, this gives me ideas of what to look for.

GRT 33

Dec 3, 2017
I worked on garage doors in the early 70's, before I got into the alarm industry, which used much the same remote signal technology for its wireless sensors as garage door remotes. As well as I can recall off the top of my head, that generation of RF receiver activated a relay if it received any strong signal at the right frequency, and the frequency was fine-tuned with a variable air capacitor; which was how you kept your remote from opening every other RF-equipped garage door on the block (and hopefully, vice versa).

RF receivers and remotes were a lot less common back then, and the environment was less laden with background RF, but we still had doors opening "spontaneously" from passing police cars and even airplanes who happened to broadcast on the right frequency. I'm frankly surprised that your vintage opener "works well", which I would take to mean it doesn't open spontaneously too often.

If you can find what frequency your receiver uses, it's possible a contemporary remote that transmits on that freq will activate it. Unlike the current generation of receivers, yours won't insist on hearing an electronic serial number (ESN) in a specific format before it activates its relay.

However, I have to agree with Gyrd3 that your old technology is a security risk.
Thank you for your thoughts. Given what you say the door should pop up often, but in the 10 years we've owned the house it hasn't happened. Will definitely take what you & Gyrd3 say to heart. Thanks again people!

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
My openers are early 70's, but I replaced the radios with Genie generics. They run off a wall wart and have a relay output, so they don't care what voltage is on the switch input of the old opener. $30 at Lowes, but check ebay for deals.

ak

GRT 33

Dec 3, 2017
My openers are early 70's, but I replaced the radios with Genie generics. They run off a wall wart and have a relay output, so they don't care what voltage is on the switch input of the old opener. $30 at Lowes, but check ebay for deals.

ak
thanks ak, i'll check it out...