Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remote spray paint tool help

Strider

Sep 30, 2023
Hello fellow makers!

I'm diving into an intriguing project and could use some expert advice. Here's a summary:

Project Description: I'm designing a tool that uses a cordless drill to spin two arms, with each arm holding a spray paint can at the end (cans can be positioned to adjust the diameter of the circles sprayed). The goal is to remotely control a mechanism to depress the spray paint can valves, thus activating the spray, while the arms are spinning.

What I've Done So Far:
  • - Designed a sturdy frame with arms to securely hold the spray paint cans.
  • - Conceptualized a central hub that allows the arms to connect to a cordless drill.
Where I Need Help:

- Lever Mechanism:
I'm exploring options for a lever mechanism that can be connected to a motor to actuate the spray paint valves. Any design ideas or suggestions would be fantastic.
- Motor Torque Requirements: I'm uncertain about the exact torque a motor needs to effectively depress a spray paint nozzle. Anyone with experience or insights on this?
- Remote Control Recommendations: Seeking advice on a simple yet reliable remote control switch kit to manage the motors. Your personal experiences and recommendations would be immensely helpful.
- Motor Quantity: Is it feasible to use one motor to depress both spray can nozzles, or would two motors be more efficient? If it's the latter, are there remote controls that can activate both motors simultaneously?

Your expertise and input would be invaluable for the success of this project. I eagerly await your insights and advice. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 2

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think for the rotating section to have power without twisting the wires, a slip ring would be required.
The ‘motors’ for depressing the cans remotely would require a simple setup with two servos. This can be achieved by a cheap radio controlled plane/car radio setup.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Balance would be the biggest issue. If one can empties quicker than the other the weight difference will be significant enough to cause the whole mechanism to be off-balance and all sorts of trouble.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Balance would be the biggest issue. If one can empties quicker than the other the weight difference will be significant enough to cause the whole mechanism to be off-balance and all sorts of trouble.
I didn’t think about that!
But upon further reflection, they can’t spin fast or the spray will just mist everywhere.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Seems like the Op have been previously nabbed for illegal grafity........:rolleyes::oops:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
That's a cool idea. Maybe you could borrow applications that already exist combine them kicking off your own imagination No harm in that.
1698896334578.jpg
Instead of the hand finger trigger the applicator trigger would be the servo that actuates the spray can nozzle. One spray can on each of the bar.
connect it to your drill driver with a standard 1/4 inch drive adapter and spin the bar. Adapt the idea from a paint spinner.
1698897012822.jpg

.The jig below features two 10mm plastic screws that allow you to fasten the paint spray can securely in the cup, and adjust to different size of spray cans.
1698897043887.jpg
Drill holes on the side of the cup instead of the bottom. For your bar.
But you must be warned people with no imagination are going to poo poo your idea.
They not inspire.
They just belittle.
Even online you can smell them.
They reek of mediocracy.
@Martaine2005 got it going on! Pointing you in the right direction.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I'm designing a tool that uses a cordless drill to spin two arms, with each arm holding a spray paint can at the end (cans can be positioned to adjust the diameter of the circles sprayed). The goal is to remotely control a mechanism to depress the spray paint can valves, thus activating the spray, while the arms are spinning.
To what end?

If this is to try to improve on the method of depositing paint then it's not the right way to go about it.

An explanation of what your goal (other than the obvious already-stated case of 'spinning the cans' of course) is would help.

Strider

Sep 30, 2023
I think for the rotating section to have power without twisting the wires, a slip ring would be required.
The ‘motors’ for depressing the cans remotely would require a simple setup with two servos. This can be achieved by a cheap radio controlled plane/car radio setup.

Martin
Thanks Martin this is very helpful!

Strider

Sep 30, 2023
Very helpful - thanks!

Strider

Sep 30, 2023
That's a cool idea. Maybe you could borrow applications that already exist combine them kicking off your own imagination No harm in that.
View attachment 61318
Instead of the hand finger trigger the applicator trigger would be the servo that actuates the spray can nozzle. One spray can on each of the bar.
connect it to your drill driver with a standard 1/4 inch drive adapter and spin the bar. Adapt the idea from a paint spinner.
View attachment 61319

.The jig below features two 10mm plastic screws that allow you to fasten the paint spray can securely in the cup, and adjust to different size of spray cans.
View attachment 61320
Drill holes on the side of the cup instead of the bottom. For your bar.
But you must be warned people with no imagination are going to poo poo your idea.
They not inspire.
They just belittle.
Even online you can smell them.
They reek of mediocracy.
@Martaine2005 got it going on! Pointing you in the right direction.
Wow thanks so much for your thoughts on this! I really appreciate it

Strider

Sep 30, 2023
To what end?

If this is to try to improve on the method of depositing paint then it's not the right way to go about it.

An explanation of what your goal (other than the obvious already-stated case of 'spinning the cans' of course) is would help.
Reason = art

I'm a professional artist specializing in large scale murals, sculptures and studio art. I want to make this tool for linework. Like a kind of spirograph but with more freedom.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Haven’t you got bored teenagers in your area?. They’ll save you a fortune on buying spray. Offer them a fiver (£5) to do your spraying for you?. Obviously dependant on having a local store for them to nick from:)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I want to make this tool for linework. Like a kind of spirograph but with more freedom.
Sounds cool. There are large scale dot-matrix printers that can leave whatever text/make in their passage (wall art etc) in one pass but a spirograph version should be fun to watch.

Might be easier to use a flexi coupling from the can itself to individual spray heads (printheads) based on electrically operated valves. Imagine a can with a 2 metre thin tube plugged in it and the nozzle on the end.