Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remove mini-knobs from dual mini-pots

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
I need to replace a faulty component between the faceplate and attached circuit board of an MS-230 miniscope. I have not been able to remove the mini-knobs from the pots to remove the faceplate. I have tried lifting the knobs off but the force I have so far applied concerns me that I will damage the pots if I apply more force.

Is there a removal method I can use to avoid damage to the pots?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I need to replace a faulty component between the faceplate and attached circuit board of an NS-230 miniscope. I have not been able to remove the mini-knobs from the pots to remove the faceplate. I have tried lifting the knobs off but the force I have so far applied concerns me that I will damage the pots if I apply more force.

are they really only pull off ? there's not holes in the sides of the knobs with grub screws in them are there ??

cheers
Dave

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
There are no grub screws on the knobs since they are so small there is no room for one. The dual pots have a small black knob on the central shaft and a slightly larger red knob on the outer shaft.

jerryg50

Apr 18, 2010
I need to replace a faulty component between the faceplate and attached circuit board of an NS-230 miniscope. I have not been able to remove the mini-knobs from the pots to remove the faceplate. I have tried lifting the knobs off but the force I have so far applied concerns me that I will damage the pots if I apply more force.

Some of these knob types have a front (top) cap that can be removed by carefully prying it off with a jeweler's screwdriver. Under the cap there would be a split-slotted screw type retainer. You should be able to loosen that retainer.

Jerry G. ;)

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
The black knob is approx.1/4 inch diameter and 3/10 inch long. Using a magnifier, I can see a slight ridge around what looks to be a very thin disc on the top of the knob. This does not appear to be a top cap that can be removed without damage.

Thank you for all your feedback.

Regards,
John

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The black knob is approx.1/4 inch diameter and 3/10 inch long. Using a magnifier, I can see a slight ridge around what looks to be a very thin disc on the top of the knob. This does not appear to be a top cap that can be removed without damage.

Thank you for all your feedback.

Regards,
John

cant really help further ... maybe some clown glued them on ???
show us a photo of the knobs

Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Not familiar with the manufacturerer, but I'd be willing to bet the top cap comes off, and there's a screw holding the knob itself to the shaft.
I'm with everybody else, ...only one way to find out;
Do you feel lucky?

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
I could send a photo of the knobs as Dave requests but I do not have a url to satisfy the Insert Image requirement. Is there another method such as an attachment similar to an email?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I could send a photo of the knobs as Dave requests but I do not have a url to satisfy the Insert Image requirement. Is there another method such as an attachment similar to an email?

yes you use the attach image rather than the insert image

the attach image allows you to upload an image from you puter to here
see the paperclip icon option in the icons above the text box when you are typing a reply

cheers
Dave

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
Thank you. I found the paper clip in the Advanced Reply. Attached is the photo of the dual mini-pots with black and red knobs. I can move the outer shaft red knob, but not the black. I have looked for a groove in the top of the black knob into which I can insert a blade to remove it. These knobs are as delivered by the manufacturer, NLS.

Attachments

• DSCN0195(2.1X3).jpg
    DSCN0195(2.1X3).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 298

JohnCR

Aug 8, 2010
Please note: I have edited my original post to change an error I made in the model number of my miniscope from NS-230 to MS-230.