Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removed buzzer, space heater not working now.

AdrianCC

Feb 21, 2022
So, I was annoyed by the loud sound of the buzzer and decided to desolder it, but after I did, it only turns on for 3 secs and it turns itself off with error 88 on screen. I thought it was a continuity problem, so I added an LED in its place, but same issue, so then I thought maybe the buzzer added some resistance that was needed to operate, so I removed the LED and solder back in the buzzer, just like it was in the beginning, but same error shows and it only turns on for 3 secs.
I noticed also that even if I don't turn it on, after a few seconds, the 88 error comes up. (Sigh)
I'm ready to give up, any thoughts?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm ready to give up, any thoughts?

did you think of putting the buzzer back in to see if the unit worked as normal ?

if you do try that, and you still get error messages etc, then you have done something else to stop it from working
solder bridges disconnected wires that you didnt reconnect etc etc

AdrianCC

Feb 21, 2022
You possibly damaged something else by your soldering.
What does the manual say about "error 88"?
The manual does not mention error codes :/
Maybe this helps, when I desolder the buzzer, a large capacitor was on the way, so I lift the capacitor but it was glued to the board and I noticed that it pulled some of the solder mask with it; should I worry about it?
I added images so you can have a better idea since I'm terrible at explaining.
20220222_182436_resize.jpg 20220222_184850_edited_resize.jpg 20220222_185043_edited_resize.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Stripping solder mask is no problem per se.
Do you mean the component labeled R5 with the "750" on top? This is not a capacitor but a resistor. Chances are you damaged it when removing it from the PCB. A tiny internal crack, invisible, may suffice. Check the resistance.

Another possibility is that you created an electrostastic discharge into the circuit board during soldering. In that case the defect could be anywhere, not necessarily next to the solder joints. Let's hope this is not the case since that will be very hard to detect.

The manual does not mention error codes :/
Have you tried to locate a service manual for the appliance? At least a service manual should explain error codes.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Does bringing the PCB back to the original state it back to life?
Put the buzzer back and see how it reacts.
If it works again with the buzzer, it needs to see the buzzer.

Bertus

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
To the left of R5 is the capacitor connections.
It looks like the capacitors negative solder pad may be lifted. You’ll need to verify this with a continuity test. Test all the other areas you touched too.

Martin