Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removing ground cable off mini servos?

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020

Years ago I wanted to make this project, and I decided to finally order the stuff off amazon in order to make it. I have most everything except the extra wire (which I will get) but when I look at the servos that I have I realize that they won't work with my 9 volt battery connector.

The battery connectors I have only have the positive and negative cables going out. The ones for the servos have negative, positive, and a ground cable. Is there any way around this? Would simply cutting the servo connector off removing the ground allow it to work? Because I did stick the 9 volt battery cables into the connector I heard a faint buzz for a split second but the motor did not start.

Any advice?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

It looks like there are slow running motors used for the spring to turn.
They could be motors witha gearbox mounted.

You probably mean RC servos, like on this wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo_(radio_control)
The motors are not servos, as servos would move between positions given by pulses to the control wire.

Bertus

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The motors used in the video are not servos.
The are turning constant when the power is applied.
Servos would go to a fixed position and stop.

Bertus

Protoman

Dec 30, 2020
I understand. But I cannot find the ones he has. Is it possible to modify the ones I do have into it or am I stuck with them?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Is it possible to modify the ones I do have
Maybe, if you can get the case apart without damage. Some RC servos are of the type which can rotate continuously (e.g. for driving winches on ship models), others can move only through a limited angle. The latter type (which you have) have a feedback potentiometer which limits the rotation angle. If you can remove that and disconnect the electronic circuitry you should be able to solder wires to the motor terminals directly.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I thought the motors in those blue plastic housings were just dc motors! I would have thought you could just connect the battery to them.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The 2 wires in the video are a dead giveaway.
Whether it has a blue case or not is irrelivent.
Commonly known as continuous rotation servo.
There are videos on youtube on how to convert a standard servo.