Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removing & Replacing IC chips on a PCB

KWXYZ

Jan 25, 2021
Hi, Great Forum for the non pros.

I’d like to get some feedback from the forum
On replacing IC chips on a PCB board (the ones solder in) 14-20 pins.
I’m pretty good with the iron and have different tips.
I’m a little concerned about damaging traces in the board.
How do you handle multiple leg IC chip/ DE soldering and removal?
I have a solder pump and wick but, is it better to clip the legs 1st or alternate with the iron?

Thanks.:)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you intend to keep the IC, alternating sides with wick is a good idea.
But if it’s dead, cut the legs and desolder each pin. It’s much easier.

Martin

KWXYZ

Jan 25, 2021
Thanks, While I got your attention, how about PCB Audio jacks, some can be a real pain to get out?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yeah, sometimes. But it depends on the jack type. If it’s fitted tight to the PCB, you can heat all 4 or 5 connections whilst gently pulling the jack out. But again, sometimes easier to destroy the jack and cut it out.
Use fresh solder on the joints first. This aids the old solder melting and wicks up quite well. Put extra flux on your wick if you have some.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Make sure you use a quality soldering iron with lots of heat carrying capacity i.e. a large tip - especially so for the larger solder pads found on PCB audio jacks. Nothing causes more damage than a 'cold' iron used excessively.

KWXYZ

Jan 25, 2021
Make sure you use a quality soldering iron with lots of heat carrying capacity i.e. a large tip - especially so for the larger solder pads found on PCB audio jacks. Nothing causes more damage than a 'cold' iron used excessively.
Could you recommend a quality budget model? I got some smaller ones for precision & an old Hakko trigger good but not beefy.:(