Maker Pro
Maker Pro

removing silicon

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
this isn't electronics as such but I have acquired some fish tanks and they have dividers siliconed in place, I was looking at an easy way to remove the silicon to get the dividers out. any one got an idea?

Alf

Sep 21, 2012
REMOVING PANELS SILICONED INTO FISH TANK

this isn't electronics as such but I have acquired some fish tanks and they have dividers siliconed in place, I was looking at an easy way to remove the silicon to get the dividers out. any one got an idea?

Hi Donkey, This is an interesting application... perhaps go to your local graphic arts supply and get some thin Music Wire which I believe K&S Engineering provides as a product .... thread it in between the edge of the glued plate and the tank side.... grab both ends of the wire with a pair of pliers and saw back and forth...

You really need something that is about 0.005 dia which may require a specialty search...

318am .... I am tired but just happened to see your thread.. this is my first attempt at a solution... I will sleep on it.... let me know of your progress

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Single edged razors, just slide it flat across the surface of the glass...

images

For the final pass, you might find that some oil (probably vegetable oil in your case for toxicity reasons) will allow you to glide over the surface easier and also makes it possible to literally scrub the remaining residue film off with a cotton rag and a little work... When I did shower enclosures we used mineral spirits for the 'oil' but I wouldn't suggest that for your application...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd use CocaCola's remedy.
I've known people that used chemicals to clean their tanks, or effect leak repairs that
ended up killing the fish when they were returned to the tank.
You have to watch that.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I'd use CocaCola's remedy.
I've known people that used chemicals to clean their tanks, or effect leak repairs that
ended up killing the fish when they were returned to the tank.
You have to watch that.

Yeah cross contamination is a real concern when dealing with fish... Thus the use of vegetable oil... For oil clean up I would use ethanol, again sticking to something less 'toxic' just in case of some cross contamination... The razor alone might do just fine if you use a fresh one and do multiple passes... I just find that scrubbing the last bit of residue with a rag and lubricant to work better in most cases... BTW the lubricant doesn't actually effect the silicone per say what it does is to coat the glass surface and prevent the silicone from 'clinging' back, something that can be quite annoying when attempting to clean...

Last edited: