Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removing transformer sealant

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
I have a small PCB mounted transformer from a power supply which I'm going to rewind. It has 'E' 'I' laminates which have been coated in some sort of resin. I don't think it's an epoxy as it looks like it was dipped and has a very thin layer of a slightly yellow brittle material. So far i've tried iso propyl alcohol, gasoline and acetone with no luck
Any ides how I can soften this stuff enough to get at least one of the E laminations out?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You may have a problem finding the right stuff, it is motor winding varnish and often dipped and baked.
If you can make a start by driving the first couple out the rest should be easier.
M.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the primary winding is wound as a separate coil (rather than under the secondary layer) then you would be better off simply cutting the secondary out completely and 'threading' a new one in its place.

You could cut the secondary off a layer-wound core if you are careful but the idea to remove the resin is a non starter in my opinion - the only real method to get that off is to 'burn' it off in a fire.......