Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair braun CareStyle 7

Nervys

Apr 4, 2023
Hello all,
My appliance stop working. When turn on after about 20 seconds all the lights start blinking and according to the manufacturer manual, when this happens it's a general failure and needs specialized assistance.
Send it to fix but the presented repair budget would be higher than buying a new one so I rejected and tried to fix myself.
The repair price include a replacement of the upper module (the part that gets in touch with the clothes).
Thus, I've opened that module but it and drawn what I've found (image attached):
From the attached image:
- What is the "part1"? It has no continuity when I test with the multimeter
- "Part2" should be a thermal fuse, but it is open by default (no continuity). Shouldn't it be closed by default and when reach a high temperature open the circuit?

Any tips are welcome.

Attachments

• ferro.jpg
    ferro.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 17

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Part 1 is a thermal sensor (thermistor) which will have a resistance that varies with temperature and these devices are often stated as having x ohms @ 20degC (or somesuch). It might even be a thermoucouple device. It may be something more sophisticated such as a silicon diode or another type of silicon (active) temperature measurement device.

Slap a test meter across it on the ohms range and report any readings (taken in both directions i.e. swap the leads around)

Part 2 is a 'switch' - you state it closes when pressed.... is it meant to be pressed? If it's a thermal cutout then, yes, they are normally closed and go open when the temperature is exceeded. They can reset automatically (when the temperature falls below the operating level) or manually i.e. by pressing.

Nervys

Apr 4, 2023
Part 2 is a 'switch' - you state it closes when pressed.... is it meant to be pressed? If it's a thermal cutout then, yes, they are normally closed and go open when the temperature is exceeded. They can reset automatically (when the temperature falls below the operating level) or manually i.e. by pressing.
No, it's inside the device and not meant to be pressed. That is why I believe this switch is defective since when I turn on the iron the current will not flow and heat the iron since the circuit is open due to this thermal switch.
If I press it and turn on the iron, it begins to get hot but after 20 seconds it stops and all lights begin to flash again.

Could it be the "part1" not communicating the temperature back and it stops as a safety measure?
I've tried to disconnect the terminal but it had the same behavior.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I've tried to disconnect the terminal but it had the same behavior.
Both items are essential safety devices and need to work together to give the required protection. Replacement of parts should be using the manufacturers recommended parts which may be difficult/impossible to source. I wouldn't countenance their replacement using after-market items due to risk of personal harm if anything goes wrong.

If I press it and turn on the iron, it begins to get hot but after 20 seconds it stops and all lights begin to flash again.
The cutout seems to be working - does it remain 'on' or does it 'trip'? It's not meant to be manually reset (given that it's an internal device and requires dismantling to 'press') therefore if it previously tripped then it might be that the other sensor failed and the mechanical cut-out operated as its proper function as 'last measure'.

Simplest method would be to replace the 'digital' sensor (pic1) and see if the fault goes away - assuming you can get one.....?

TBH, given the type of machine you have it's simply not worth the risk unless you have the required skill sets and proper training to make authorised repairs and getting a new unit would be my preferred option in your case.

Is the device under any warranty?