Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair / fit USB socket to PCB

Charles Holder

Mar 4, 2020
Hi. I have to state that my abilities are limited to just being able to solder two wires together and taping them up. So everything has to be basic. I have a Laser cutter and before I even got to switch it on, somehow the plastic insert on the USB socket failed and became lodged in the plug. Without noticing i tried to fit the plug and all the pins bent. I have purchased a new socket, but I do not have the skill to remove the damaged socket from the control board. I have cut the top off the socket and i can identify the pins and match them to the new socket. I know this is a bodge but what is the best material to attach the new socket pins to the old pins. I assume the outer casing is an earth and will need to be attached to the new casing. I then have to work out how to keep the old pins from touching and a way to fit the new Socket to the board. If this is a crazy project, any other ideas please.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP, Charles.

If this is a crazy project, any other ideas please.
Sure sounds crazy.

I do not have the skill to remove the damaged socket from the control board.
Usually you'd remove the old socket completely and solder a new socket in place. Give it a try. Do not care about what happens to the old socket.
To remove the old socket you may cut the pins where needed as the old socket will be discarded anyway. Then remove the remaining pin stubs one by one.
  • If the USB connector was through hole mounted, clear the holes with solder wick or a desoldering pump. Lacking either of those, you can try to open the hole by heating it with the soldering iron, then pushing a stainles steel nedle through the hole. Solder doesn't stick easily to stainless steel, leaving a blank hole.
  • If the USB connector was SMD mounted, remove as much solder from the pads as possible. Again, solder wick is a good option.

Then place the new connector onto (or into) the pads and solder it.

You'll need a soldering iron with a fine tip. Keep solder time as short as possible to avoid overheating.

Charles Holder

Mar 4, 2020
Thank you for your reply. There are 7 soldered points to undo /redo and this is way out of my comfort zone. But OK, I will give it a try. I am worried I will damage the board if I overheat it. 5 pins are so close together I am also worried I will bridge the pins and blow somethin up. will need to sit and look at it for a couple of days first. Thank you.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do you have a repair cafe or a makershed near you? People there could help you. Also an amateur radio club could be a good address to ask for help with the delicate work.

Charles Holder

Mar 4, 2020
Hi and thank you for your suggestion. I have made the decision to have a go. I have ordered some special equipment, Desoldering braid, electrical solder, a power socket (the one fitted looks a bit suspect ) and a bottle of 54.5% Pussers Rum. That should give me a starting point. I intend to take an old motherboard from a laptop and practice soldering, so I stand a chance of not burning holes in my control board. Quite looking forward to leaning a new skill / bodge. If it works nothing in the house will be safe ))

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I intend to take an old motherboard from a laptop and practice soldering,

Good luck with that.
Most of these are not intended for repair and the solder used is difficult to modify.
That plus many components land on the ground tracks which dissipate heat at a rate greater than your 2 bob soldering iron will keep up with.

Charles Holder

Mar 4, 2020
Yes I understand. But if I don’t give things a try I would have nothing. I don’t really understand my 3D printer but manage to make things with it. On day I will find a use for them. My Soldering Iron Cost £2. 3Shillings and 6pence. It even has a twirly thing that that changes a digital other thing . Amazon assured me it was a goodun. So I will give it a try, keep my fingers crossed, my eyes shut. See what happens