Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair Headphone Wire Ripped from PCB

computermonster

Oct 3, 2019
Few wires got ripped from PCB of my headphone. PCB has volume changing wheel attached to it. How can I know where to solder ripped wire?

Otherwise, can I remove PCB and join wires together to get headphone working?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
The wire colours are not clear in the picture. Try to look for remains on the PCB with a magnifier glass. Otherwise just solder them randomly it looks like only two are ripped off. Worse case scenario it will just not work so you solder them the other way around.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Yes you could solder the wires together without the potentiometer in series on the cable, and may eventually have to do that if the pot gets bad contact since it is cheap and weak/low-lifespan.

However for what you have there, it looks like only two wires are disconnected, is this correct? If so, I can see that one wire is blue and connects to the left side, 2nd from the top in the picture, then the second loose wire gets soldered to the other vacant solder pad, left side, 2nd from the bottom.

You may find that you need to strip (sandpaper or chemical) or burn away some of the enamel on the wire to get solder to adhere to it, but you could first try just a soldering iron's heat and (adding) solder with a good amount of flux to see if that works. Try tinning the wire with new solder, THEN soldering it to the PCB.