Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair LED grow lights - Replacing a bad resistor.

EricInthecircle

Apr 8, 2022
Greetings, I am trying to repair a Barrina LED grow light that I bought from Amazon. It came in a package of six 4' lights. they all worked but one didn't work on arrival, the company refunded me for the one light and now I'm trying to fix it. It runs off 120v power and has an internal power supply that brings it down to 70v before feeding to the two led strips. The image below shows a resistor that physically looks damaged. when I try to read the resistor with my multi meter I get a reading of 0 ohms. I tried using the color strips on the resistor to figure out what value the resistor is but it's a bit confusing to my beginner brain. my best guess is it's a 1ohm resistor. I bridged it with a much smaller 10 ohm resistor and plugged it in and the lights lit up. so this confirms to me that the resistor is bad. My main question is how do I source the right kind of resistor for this. it measures about 10mm long by 5 mm diameter. all the resistors I have are much smaller than this one in physical size. how much does the size matter? It's a through hole resistor so with the right resistor I am confident I can replace it. but I want to make sure my repair is safe and doesn't become a fire hazard.

Can I replace it with a physically smaller resistor with the same ohm value? or do I need to buy a resistor that is physically the same size as the one on the board. I live very rurally (the nearest electronic parts store is a 3 hour drive away). so I will likely be ordering something off the internet.

Also based on the color banding what value resistor is this?

THanks in advance for any help.
-Eric

resistor.jpeg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Check the colour bands on one of the other lights.
Size would normally directly relate to resistor wattage.
Possibly a fusable type so may be expensive.