Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair of head phones

Michael Yoni

Sep 23, 2012
Hi,
I purchased a pair of noise cancelling headphones about a year ago and only used them once. Worked a treat (going there) on the way back the right ear did not work.

So I thought nothing of it until I got home, at first thinking its possibly the battery going a little flat. In the cupboard it went

Anyway fast forward to yesterday.

I decided to open up the right ear to see if it was in fact a wire that had come loose. Which it was.
The problem is that the wire is about the thickness of a hair. I have located where it came off from but am too frighten to tag it back on using solder as being so thin am certain that the heat would most likely destroy the wire. Also the surrounding wires are rather close by and may end up destroying those instead.

Would conductive adhesive work in this case and any special precautions to take.
And is it like solder with respect to hardening.

Any suggestions would be invaluable.

(I actually fly out in two weeks time and would like to fix it before then if at all possible). Cannot justify forking out the $$ to get someone to fix it if I can at least attempt it myself.

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Michael Y

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
It sounds like youre talking about the wire from the actual transducer. Thats a tough one to fix. You really should be getting them replaced / refunded but if you really want to have a go at fixing it, use a very fine tip soldering iron. The wire is enamelled (insulated by a very thin layer of laquer). This will melt and make a connection with the solder but be careful not to melt the diaphragm or any of the insulation in the coil.

Michael Yoni

Sep 23, 2012
Thanks Raven,
Why not use conductive adhesive instead bearing in mind its so fine. I would assume something like this it would only need a clean connection.

The head phones only had a 12 month warranty which is long gone. I just want to try to fix them myself if at all possible, if not then will just bin it.

I will try to post a photo.

Thanks again

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
... or u can all together replace the very thin enamled wire with a bit thick enamled wire .. donated from some other faulty equipement..

i have done this with normal 40 watt soldering iron .. but they were not hair thin at least..

but they were damn thin.. and i first removed the enamle with soldering iron then the white shiny conductor was visible .. then i applied a little bit soldering past and soldering wire was melted on it a little .. then very quickly i attached it to the speaker.. didnt let the iron rest there for long ..

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Thanks Raven,
Why not use conductive adhesive instead bearing in mind its so fine. I would assume something like this it would only need a clean connection.

The head phones only had a 12 month warranty which is long gone. I just want to try to fix them myself if at all possible, if not then will just bin it.

I will try to post a photo.

Thanks again

The problem with conductive adhesive is that its not as clean of a connection as solder, it will probably either cause noise, or cause the right ear to be quieter than the left.

I would try to find some low temp solder (probably going to be leaded so take note of that) and set your iron to low, or use a heat gun, remove the old solder from where you will put it first so the new solder can go right to where it is supposed to

Michael Yoni

Sep 23, 2012
Just an update,
I spoke to a (medical) instrument technician and he suggested the lead rather than the adhesive also.
But his explanation made it look easy, each time I look at the job in detail (and having failing eyesight does not help) its a bit scary compared what he described.

Anyway no guts no glory.

I will duck into a Dick Smiths store and see what tools they have.

Low temp soldering is the way to go.

(he also mentioned some form of "gold paint" that is often used on circuit boards. Not sure.)

But nevertheless I will give it a go

Thanks to all your advice. I will keep you posted if I managed to succeed.

MY