Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair Wharfedale speakers

krneki10

Aug 4, 2012
I have an old pair of Wharfedale speakers which stopped playing any music whatsoever. One is still a bit beeping, while other one is completely quite. One was already repaired few years ago, only capacitors were replaced and that seemed to work. Here is an image of this repaired circuit:

Where should I start? What do you recommend?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I am not familiar with the various Wharfdale models.

What is the model?
How many drivers in each speaker?

I would suggest that you take a photo of the connections, then disconnect one wire to each driver and measure the resistance of each driver. If you use a low resistance range on an analog meter, then you should get click on connection.

I do not see the capacitors on your photo, you can check the inductors for continuity.

krneki10

Aug 4, 2012
Treble 2,1 ohm, midtones 8,1 ohm, bass 8,1 ohm. Nominal impendance 6 ohm. Measured with cheap multimeter.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Did they click when the meter was connected, if so, they look good.
Have you checked the inductors for continuity?
The most likely fault is the capacitors. these are unusual, they are non-polarised electrolytics. They should be replaced with the correct values.

I have a pair of Wharfdale Unit 5s which contain the same bits as the Dovedale but in a home-built box. If necessary I could unearth these and take out the plethora of screws and look at the crossover network. This would take a few days.

krneki10

Aug 4, 2012
Here is a picture of original cross-over filter. What capacitors and resistor should I get for replacement?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Last edited: