Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing a Baby Monitor that Used a Higher Voltage Charger

ZZBrent

Nov 25, 2022
I have an Animeate baby monitor. When we visited a friend for Thanksgiving, we forgot the charger at their house. We found one that we thought was the same and plugged it in, not realizing that the original charger was a 9V and the one we found was a 14V. The charging light blinked a few times and I immediately unplugged it. Then the device would not turn on. I later got the actual charger and plugged it in. The charge light came on, but the device still would not turn on. I let it charge for a few hours and, after awhile, the charge light turned off. I tried turning it on again (and pressing the "reset" button on the back) but it still did not work. I took it apart and nothing appears to be melted for fried (at least visually). Which leads me to believe I simply broke the battery when plugging it into the high voltage charger. Is this a good assumption? I am in software and have little hardware experience beyond building and fixing computers occasionally in high school. So I don't want to go out and buy a replacement battery if there is a good chance the whole thing is destroyed. But from what I have read online, most electronics have surge protection on the components not related to the battery and charging, but I'm just not sure how accurate that is when it comes to baby monitors. So I figured I would check with the nice people on the Maker Pro forum and see if I can get any advice or guidance.

Thank you for any help and advice you give regarding this!
Brent

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Without any experience ( and zero detail on the unit) you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.
That plus most of these devices are simply not made to be repaired, even by somone experienced.
Buy a new one and remember not to do the same thing again.